WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Increasing Partition on Drive.

Old 10-11-08, 19:56
Super Moderator

Default Increasing Partition on Drive.

Is there any way of increasing the partition of a drive without having to start from scratch and re-loading XP. I initially partitioned my 250gb drive into two 20gb for drive C: the rest made into drive D:.

I have just noticed because some programs don't give you the option to load to another drive other than C: I am now left with only 3gb of space left after windows takes its share as a page file, I could do with increasing this drive to 40gb is it possible without stating from scratch.
I have just found a program called Gparted has anyone used this and found it safe to use
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 11-11-08, 01:30

You can move the page file to the other drive: My computer->Properties->Advanced->Performance.
Old 11-11-08, 03:31

In order to increase the partition size you will need partitioning software, you can download a working demo copy of Partition Magic here.

http://www.idilis.ro/downloads/idl/E...RETAILDEMO.ZIP

nirofo.
Old 11-11-08, 10:50
Super Moderator

Thanks walwyn I will do that until I can find a solution.

Nirofo, the demo version is just that it won't do anything unless you buy, I tried it. Considering it will be only used once its a bit expensive at £39.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 11-11-08, 11:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Thanks walwyn I will do that until I can find a solution.

Nirofo, the demo version is just that it won't do anything unless you buy, I tried it. Considering it will be only used once its a bit expensive at £39.
The alternative would be to reinstall XP on your drive, repartitioned as necessary. This would habe no monetary cost.
Old 11-11-08, 12:14
Super Moderator

Foxy, I don't really want to do that it could take days to put everything back as you know that can be a nightmare. I have just removed the pagefile but it doesn't help I only have 3gb left. Some programs just don't give you the option to install to another disk, they only load to C: I have gone through every file to see what I can delete but they are so small it makes no difference. Its my own fault I should have left the disk without any partitions.

Old 11-11-08, 13:53
Super Moderator

I need a bit more help, even though I have removed the pagefile on drive C: and set it up for drive D:it is still showing on the disk and in defrag so it hasn't given me the space back.

Old 11-11-08, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
I need a bit more help, even though I have removed the pagefile on drive C: and set it up for drive D:it is still showing on the disk and in defrag so it hasn't given me the space back.

Hi Sapphire

Changing the location and size of the Windows page file does not increase your drive partition size, all it does is give Windows more headroom to work in! As the available space left on your physical drive becomes less then Windows will find it harder and harder to keep working at a reasonable pace and may eventually refuse to operate altogether. As you have already said one way to overcome this is to re-partition your available hard disk space to give your 'C' drive, (Windows drive) more room. The easiest way to do this is via third party partitioning software, there are many variations freely available for download if you do a quick search with Google. Make sure you do a backup of any important files/data etc before you do this.

Personally I would go for a system re-boot, (after backing up important files/data etc) and re-partition your drive at this stage, give your 'C' drive at least 80Gb. Your system drive becomes more and more clogged up with redundant files, registry entries, temp files and all sorts of other rubbish that only a full system re-boot will get rid of.

This might be a good time to add another drive to your system, a 250Gb SATA drive can be had for as little as £36 now, keep this one purely for data/files.

nirofo.
Old 11-11-08, 14:53
Super Moderator

Thanks for all your help nirofo, I will be buying another drive soon I am just waiting for Aldi to get some 500gb usb's in they are only £49. I already have two backup of backup of all my photos.
I never have had much luck in backing up the important files/data for some reason the folder or files are never readable after, I always end up loading from scratch. What I normaly do is just copyy all files onto another disk and then slowly reload each program one at a time which can take days. I hate doing it.

Old 12-11-08, 01:53
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes View Post
The alternative would be to reinstall XP on your drive, repartitioned as necessary. This would habe no monetary cost.
Norton Ghost... image the drive, repartition, re image the drive ... 1/2 hr