WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Correcting Verticals in PS

Old 06-01-06, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by windyridge50
After nearly 40 years in photography I can still manage to get sloping horizons. I think my brain is lopsided:-)

Yes, ditto! I reckon that grid overlay that Nikon put in their focus screens (was it the F80?) was one of the better developments in SLR design. Some systems have a grid screen as an option but the idea of just calling it up when you need it rather than having to change screens was an inspired idea.

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 06-01-06, 20:20

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this thread, it's been very helpful.

I saw a building with a wonderful mural on the side which had to be taken in 2 bites of the cherry. Not having packed my rocket boots, I was not able to take the pictures from anything other than ground level. A combination of the need to use a fairly wide angle setting (limited space in street), ground angle shooting, and the warping introduced by stitching pictures together, meant I had some serious distortion to correct. It didn't help that the building isn't square on the front to begin with.

Original joiner and the best corrected image I can come up with are attached. The tools can only correct so much. Until they make rocket boots in a more portable size, you have to live with some warping!

Duncan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resized original Toulon Hotel.jpg (148.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Resized Perspective shifted Toulon Building.jpg (183.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 06-01-06, 23:25

I downloaded a demo lens correction plugin for PS from Power Retouche to see if it would do a better job. It was the first one I bumped into after doing a google - look fairly good lots of other tools - I must admit I did not stay long enough to see how much it was - LOL. As you say Duncan it is a mare of a building.

I spent a few minutes with it to reduce the barrel distortion and then the normal PS tools. I think it looks a tad better.

I wanted to see how effective the plugin was as the only wide angle lens I have is the Canon Kit lens 18-55 which distorts like hell. The 24-70 L is not really wide enough for some scenes.

OMG I've just noticed - you age quickly on this forum. When I joined a few weeks ago I started as a junior and now I am a Senior.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated

Last edited by robski; 26-07-11 at 22:35.
Old 07-01-06, 01:31

Well Duncan you've driven me nuts !!

I am not a digital darkroomer but I thought I ought to try and learn something. I am using PSP7 with an occasional dip into 8.

Rob yours is a super effort. I've spent nearly an hour on this, and find that the more the top is corrected the worse the bottom gets. I attach mine uncropped, so the effect is seen. I tried perspective control first then barrel distortion. Even tried fisheye as I thought that may push in the centre to bring forward the bottom. No luck. I have added a dotted line along the bottom to show how it falls away.

I'm going to bed now before this cracks me up !!!!!!

Don

PS Wonderfull building.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duncans Hotel my attempt.jpg (53.5 KB, 6 views)
Old 07-01-06, 02:44

Don I think the secret is to get CS2 asWindy says this has I nice lens tool. I was getting into the same mess as you. Thats why I went hunting for a PS plugin for Lens correction. I notice that another software was mentioned in the other thread for lens correction. PS7 and 8 itself does not have the right sort of concave adjustment to correct the barrel distortion.

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery

Last edited by robski; 07-01-06 at 02:48.
Old 07-01-06, 10:39

Hmmm, yes, 'tis a 'mare of a building, isn't it? You can see why I asked for advice now, can't you?

You've all done very well. (Thank you Mr. Grace. That'll be completely lost on many). I did my efforts using CS2 lens correction tool, using a combination of correcting the perspective and barrel distortion. As Don says, the more the top is corrected, the worse the bottom gets.

I woke up this morning (at about 5:00 am!) with the idea of correcting the perspective/distortion on each of the two parts of the joiner before stitching them together. There is actually very little perspective distortion on the bottom picture, as you'd expect, so applying the major correction to the top before stitching should stop the bottom going so squiffy. I'll let you know how I get on. Probably about midnight!

Duncan.

P.S. Rob, I had noticed your "birthday" too!
Old 07-01-06, 10:44

Duncan I tried a vertical cut without luck so possibly a horizontal with your joiner expertise may do it.

Try as I might I cold not get the bottom to line up like Rob. All good fun though.

Don
Old 07-01-06, 17:36

OK, here's the best I can manage. Gave up on correcting the distortions on the "joiner" as the distortion in the top and bottom halves was just far too different between the two parents. I've gone back to the single image I took, and just removed the distortion as best as I can from that. Still a sod of a building though. Nothing is as square as it seems!

Thanks to all for your advice on how to do this, it's been most helpful.

Regards,

Duncan
Old 12-01-06, 16:38

Ducan

A Photoshop CS2 tutorial on lens and perspective correction.
http://public.cps.canon-europe.com/I...rial/index.asp

I did not get to look at it yet as our web connection is slow this afternoon.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery