WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

bags?

Old 10-01-06, 23:18
Super Moderator

Default bags?

Having recently got another lens I'm finding my camera bag too small. I was thinking of getting the lowepro Photo Trekker, but wondered if anyone had any other suggestions.

I'm looking for a bag that will hold my 350D with Sigma 500 f4.5 attached, also the Sigma 100-300 f4, three other small lenses, flash gun and tc. Ideally I want something that will hold a bit more than that as I'd like to add another lens and tc in tha future...
Old 11-01-06, 02:24

I really like Tamrac camera bags. http://www.tamrac.com/welcome.htm
They have all kinds of room for expanding. I hope you can find 'em across the pond....

I think my new thing will be to try to be a real happy guy. I'll just walk around being real happy until some jerk says something stupid to me.

My blogs:
http://www.myspace.com/michaelstetz
Old 11-01-06, 11:40

I have a Lowepro Photo Trekker AW II. Its a real big rucksack and it will fit most camera and lens combinations. Its very well made, waterproof and comes with a mini rucksack that attaches on the back. I store the following with ease:-

Camera body attached to a 200-400VR Nikkor with TC.
80-400VR Nikkor
24-120VR Nikkor
SB-600 flash
TC cases
Manfrotto monopod.

Plus

Large flask of coffee, sandwiches, suncream etc!

I recommend this bag as it works for me!
Old 11-01-06, 20:12

I recommend a smaller bag and a determination to only take out what you really need on any particular occasion..

If you buy a big bag there's a temptation to fill it with stuff you won't need in order to stop the few things you do need from rattling around inside the large empty spaces inside!

If you lug everything around 'just in case' it takes so long to get the kit out that you need that you're liable to miss the shot, anyway - and then you've got to pack everything away in its proper compartment again before you go off and miss another shot...

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 11-01-06, 21:39

I tend to agree with Adey, it's so easy to get carried away and pack everything "just in case", when generally when we venture ou we have a specific goal in mind. I like to have the camera in hand available as much as possible.

Having said that I tend to usec an ordinary rucksack, a large one if I'm paking some kind of hiding material and a smaller one I use more often. Sadly though this doesn't hold a monopod/tripod and a small seat, I tend to carry around having bad knees, very well. I had noticed on ebay there are some good value tamrac bags available that look as good as Lowepro which I've had my eye on.
Old 14-01-06, 01:12

I just bought a lowepro nature trekker...love it. I also got a seperate protective lens case for my 400 because I didn't want to carry it in my backpack.

Cheers,

Russ
Old 14-01-06, 11:09
Admin

I seem to be different from most, in that I carry very little in the way of extras.. and don't usually bother with a bag at all (though i have bulging pockets!!). I do have Lowepro Lenstrekker 600AW, which is luggage that carries not much more than lens+camera, but it rarely leaves the car. I just can't get on with a pack on my back.

Generally, I carry the legset/head over my shoulder, with the camera/lens caried with my other hand... principally so that I'm never more than about 15 seconds from taking a shot.
Old 14-01-06, 13:14

I use the Lowe pro Orion trekker II. Its big enough for my D70 and sigma Zoom and other bits and peices. It also has a rucksack section on top for putting your sarnies, waterproof, fingerless gloves etc for a day out. It also has usefull inside pockets and one for an MP 3 player (Cant be without my music!).

Nogbad
Old 14-01-06, 13:25

I prefer the bulging pockets idea. For the warmer months I have one of those multi-pocket fishermans' vest things which is not too uncomfortable unless it's very hot. An alternative would be a harness like the Lowepor Street and Field system.

Either way, you're spreading the load around your body and only taking what you think you'll need rather than weighing yourself down with loads of stuff just because you happen to own it

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 14-01-06, 15:46
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
I seem to be different from most, in that I carry very little in the way of extras.. and don't usually bother with a bag at all (though i have bulging pockets!!). I do have Lowepro Lenstrekker 600AW, which is luggage that carries not much more than lens+camera, but it rarely leaves the car. I just can't get on with a pack on my back.

Generally, I carry the legset/head over my shoulder, with the camera/lens caried with my other hand... principally so that I'm never more than about 15 seconds from taking a shot.
Sounds like a good way of doing things... however as I'm a birder first I always have bins and scope with me, so camera stuff is either in a bag or left at home.

I have looked at a Super Trekker and realise that it is far more than I need, so I'm now looking for a good deal on a Photo Trekker, so if anyone wants to sell me one...

While I do understand the idea of not taking everything out with you there are two reasons that I don't get one with this. Firstly I always want my camera, big lens and tc out as I'm aiming for bird photos, but I also need a smaller lens for when my daughter (who is normally with me) looks cute. I also carry digiscoping kit with me, so need a reasonable bag to fit that lot in. The second reaons is that I find it convenient to keep all my kit (only two more lenses and a flash) in the bag, partly for ease of storing, but also so I can just grab it and go when time's short.