WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Kenko pro 1.4 dg canon fit

Old 14-12-05, 23:03

Default Kenko pro 1.4 dg canon fit

Hi all looking for some help with a Kenko pro 1.4 converter.

I already have a Canon EF2 that I use on my Canon 400 F5.6L in manual mode. I would like to get the Kenko but am unsure wether it will AF with the Canon lens. I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that it will.

Does anyone out there use the Kenko with the Canon 400? Does it still AF?
What are the pro's and cons any and all thoughts appreciated.

Pete
Old 14-12-05, 23:07

Hi Pete. I have the kenko 1.4 convertor and i am really not very impressed with its results. I could not autofocus with mine though I think there may be a way around it. I found the focus and the loss of f stops very limiting and no longer use it.
Having said that in excellent light it did occasionally produce some stunning results but our weather to me seldom seems fitting for it.
Old 14-12-05, 23:15
Admin

A teleconverter isn't going to make your shots sharper, that's for sure. Generally you need to stop down from f5.6 to get the best results... and that's on top of the f-stop of light you've lost already. So it really is a fine weather accessory. Also remember the stability factor, you'll need some mighty fast shutter speeds if you're going to handhold it.

A good tc like a Kenko pro won't degrade the image in itself too much, but its the side effects that cause the problems.
Old 15-12-05, 14:50

On the topic of TC has anybody compared the results from a Kenco pro x2 with a Canon x2. I currently have a Canon 1.4 for my 300 f4 which is attached most of the time and I am very happy with the results. As I can't see myself making the hugh investment for a 500 or 600 f4 I've been toying with the idea of a x2 to give me a 600 f8 for fair weather photography.

Reviews for x2 are of course not as favourably as the x1.4 but looking at some folks posting they seem OK.(even a cheap jessops)

I realise the quality is mainly dependent on the quality of the glass it is attached to. So the hub of the question is are the Canon TC worth the extra Ģ100 as far as image quality is concerned especially if a x2 maybe sitting in the bag most of the time.

Rob
Old 15-12-05, 15:16
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete
Hi Pete

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question... but I'm getting a Kenko 1.4x for Christmas (it's sitting right next to me, but I'm not allowed to play with it until the day), as I've been told it should retain auto focus with my Sigma lens. Seeing that you're Norfolk based too, perhaps you should try and bump into me after Christmas, then you could give it a try.
Old 15-12-05, 21:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv
Hi Pete

I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question... but I'm getting a Kenko 1.4x for Christmas (it's sitting right next to me, but I'm not allowed to play with it until the day), as I've been told it should retain auto focus with my Sigma lens. Seeing that you're Norfolk based too, perhaps you should try and bump into me after Christmas, then you could give it a try.
Hi Pete thanks for the offer that would be ideal. I know where you are at weekends, so if you are still up for it in the new year I'll send you a PM and perhaps we could arrange a weekend.

Pete
Old 16-12-05, 09:58
Super Moderator

Quote:
Hi Pete thanks for the offer that would be ideal. I know where you are at weekends, so if you are still up for it in the new year I'll send you a PM and perhaps we could arrange a weekend.

Pete
sounds like a good plan to me - see you in the new year...
Old 16-12-05, 22:42

Hi Pete
The 400L 5,6 lens doesn´t autofocus with the Kenko 1,4 pro converter unless you put a tiny bit of tape over the three contacts on the left side of the converter,but if you do it works just fine. You´ll get some good results if you use it in good weather conditions.
All the best
Digi Ove
Quote:
Hi all looking for some help with a Kenko pro 1.4 converter.

I already have a Canon EF2 that I use on my Canon 400 F5.6L in manual mode. I would like to get the Kenko but am unsure wether it will AF with the Canon lens. I am pretty sure that I read somewhere that it will.

Pete

Last edited by Digi; 16-12-05 at 23:41.
Old 17-12-05, 14:19

Thanks Digi for the info is the AF slowed down at all?

I do need the AF more and more the old eyesight is not what it used to be.
I have given up on Digiscoping simply because I can no longer see the small screens properly.

Pete
Old 17-12-05, 18:52

Quote:
Thanks Digi for the info is the AF slowed down at all?

I do need the AF more and more the old eyesight is not what it used to be.
I have given up on Digiscoping simply because I can no longer see the small screens properly.

Pete
Hi Pete
The AF is slowed down a little bit,but it still works just fine with the 400L 5,6.
I donīt think you have to give up on digiscoping as long as you can focus the scope,Pete. Donīt know what camera you use with your scope,but with the Coolpix 4500 and a good adapter,you donīt have to look at the camera display so intensely.Just focus the scope,camera and adapter on and shoooot.
All the best from another old eyesighter.
Digi Ove