WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

Brown sky at night!

Old 25-02-07, 18:54

I should perhaps clarify by saying that I've taken traffic light trail pictures on digital cameras, out in the sticks, on different days, and under different conditions admittedly, and suffered terribly with light pollution from small towns several miles over the horizon.
Old 25-02-07, 21:01

I think it all depends on the length of the exposure. A few seconds should be okay.
Old 26-02-07, 09:34

Sean,
quite honestly, I prefer the shot as is!
Old 26-02-07, 22:23

Thanks everyone. What you are saying fits in with what I've been experiencing. The cloudier the weather the browner the sky certainly. And taking the shot at dusk seems to result in a bluer sky as Leif's great shots prove and I have found with my own shots of Parliament.

Paul, I tend to agree with you that the effect can be quite pleasing but it is always nice to have an understanding of these things so as to be able to predict how a shot might turn out and possibly turn that knowledge to your advantage.

Finally, since posting the message I have revisited some of the shots I have taken recently and played with the white balance in ACR with some variable but occasionally pleasing results. I have gotten into the habit of always shooting in RAW anyway due to my underwater photography but I think it probably can be useful in a night shooting scenario too.
Old 07-03-07, 21:12

Sean if you look at my picture "Light trails" you will notice that the sky is brown, this is caused by the lights of Manchester and Warrington, as this picture was taken in the Cheshire countryside I think it shows just how bad light pollution is beginning to get. Overall the shot of St Pauls is good but the sky spoils it somewhat.

Alan
Old 09-03-07, 20:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmarlin View Post
Sean if you look at my picture "Light trails" you will notice that the sky is brown, this is caused by the lights of Manchester and Warrington, as this picture was taken in the Cheshire countryside I think it shows just how bad light pollution is beginning to get. Overall the shot of St Pauls is good but the sky spoils it somewhat.

Alan
Light Pollution I'm afraid.