WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

New 85mm f/1.4 for about £250!?

Old 09-04-09, 13:18

Question New 85mm f/1.4 for about £250!?

Just interested to find out if anyone has experience of the Korean made lens sometimes badged as a Vivitar series 1, Polar, or other makes we've never heard of before?

A new 85mm f/1.4 lens for about £250 is going to tempt many, much cheaper than Nikkor,Zeiss and Canon equivalents (cheaper than s/h ones too....assuming you could find some)
fittings for Nikon,Canon,Pentax and Sony (tho all manual) look to be available

http://www.foto-tip.pl/sklep/product...08&language=en

It wouldn't be the first time a lens had been 'copied' by a far eastern manufacturer (the glass designs on net searches looks like the old zeiss design)

However, the saying "if it looks to good to be true......" rings a bell.....just interested to see what others think?
Old 14-04-09, 19:35

Joe,

Out of interest I found a current thread on DPR ( discussion plus pics ) taken with this lens.
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=31403989

Don
Old 16-04-09, 17:32

Thanks Don.

My automatic assumptions that this lens might be a bit poor look to be proved wrong. From those on DPreview it sounds like its not that bad.
cheers
Old 03-05-10, 10:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Just interested to find out if anyone has experience of the Korean made lens sometimes badged as a Vivitar series 1, Polar, or other makes we've never heard of before?
They are good lenses...In the States the most common brand name used for them is Rokinon and many people swear by them. Unlike the Zeiss 85mm f1.4 Planar T* they can be used wide open without CA or coma problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
A new 85mm f/1.4 lens for about £250 is going to tempt many, much cheaper than Nikkor,Zeiss and Canon equivalents (cheaper than s/h ones too....assuming you could find some)
For that price you could get a used Canon FD 85mm f1.2 L or FD 85mm f1.2 S.S.C aspherical. And there are'nt any 85mm lenses better than them.
Old 04-05-10, 10:01

Interesting to see the Vivitar series I name show up again. In the late seventies or early eighties I bought a Vivitar series I 28-90 vari-focal (as opposed to zoom) lens for my Canon A1 FD mount camera. In those days Vivitar series I lenses were reckoned to be top drawer but the marque seemed to fade away and I presume the original company disappeared with the name bought up by the Korean company behind this lens. My lens was sharp, very well made, heavy and a bit slow to use due to having to manually refocus after every change of focal length. In the end I hardly ever used it.