WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > General Photography Technique

General Photography Technique Discussion on General Photography Technique

White and Mid Grey Match

Old 16-04-14, 13:44

Default White and Mid Grey Match

In this idea - I made a WORK COPY - then OPEN my ORIGINAL in my HUE/SATURATION TOOL.
First off - I REMOVED my COLOR (SATURATION) by making my VALUE BOX NUMBER to "0".
Then - I REMOVED my BRIGHTNESS by making my VALUE BOX NUMBER to "0".
Then - I SLOWLY begin to REPLACE BRIGHTNESS - by holding the WHITE of my 10 POINT GRAY SCALE (under even houselights) AGAINST the WHITE in the GRAY SCALE in the IMAGE to MATCH the SAME BRIGHTNESS in the WHITES.
Then - I SLOWLY REPLACE my COLOR - until my COLOR until I REACH the SAME BRIGHTNESS as in point directly above. Then I may add a touch of HUE as well or I may not depending if it is needed. I can also use the GREY CARD and do the same with that as a double check.
Then - when finished that - I may add a touch of CONTRAST, SHARPNESS or ..... only AS of IF NEEDED.
Then - I CROP and RESIZE and SAVE the FINAL RESULT.
One thing I do like - this cropped image is much closer to what my naked eyes saw than the original and my whites are not wiped - or close to being wiped out - with the texture still in the clothes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC03438.JPG (74.0 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03438 1.JPG (68.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSC03438 2.JPG (65.7 KB, 7 views)

I love the Old Masters for incentive and compositional ideas.

Last edited by nldunne; 16-04-14 at 14:09.
Old 17-04-14, 11:50
Super Moderator

I don't really see how what you are doing with this can work as the white on your grey scale card does not seem to be pure white (seems a fair way off to my eye). The white of the subjects top is much closer to pure white and still seems to have retained detail so is not blown. When comparing the white on the card in the image to the white on the card held to your monitor there are many potential issues. The brightness setting of the monitor will greatly influence the final output as will any colour shift due to an uncalibrated monitor. To my eye the brightness, whites and colour tones in the original are much better than in the final processed image.

I also find the way that the background has been removed to be very distracting as it has created a very harsh, unnatural outline to your subject. I would prefer to get a distraction free background in camera rather than relying on removing it in processing. If you do need to deal with a BG a touch of selective blurring would give a more natural look than replacing it with a block colour. When taking a portrait it is often worth spending as much (often more) time looking at the background than the subjects. Shooting to get a shallow depth of field will help a lot as will avoiding having bold coloured objects in the background as these will distract the eye when viewing the photo. If the background has distracting objects it can often be solved by shifting your angle, if not then move your subject!
Old 09-11-16, 20:44

My thanks Prem for the kind words. They are much appreciated.

I love the Old Masters for incentive and compositional ideas.