WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Storing gear in the rainforest

Old 28-08-06, 20:46

Default Storing gear in the rainforest

Hello,

I'll shortly be off to live in the Bornean rainforest for 3 years and I could do with some advice regarding the best way to store my photographic equipment. Thankfully, I'll be living in a simple wooden house rather than camping in the forest, but relative humidity is nonetheless going to be high.

My current thoughts are to buy a completely watertight box, such as a pelican case, and to pack it full of rechargeable silica gel. Does anyone have any advice on this?

Bornean Wild Cat & Clouded leopard Project http://www.wildaboutcats.org/borneo.htm

Last edited by Baycat; 28-08-06 at 20:50.
Old 29-08-06, 20:21

No response to your post from others so I will just say that your suggestion seems perfectly good to me. The pelican cases though not cheap are the ultimate protection for your camera equipment.
Old 29-08-06, 20:41

Thanks for the reply Stephen. Those pelican cases are pretty hefty in weight - I just hope that my baggage allowance will cover all my gear plus the pelican.

Bornean Wild Cat & Clouded leopard Project http://www.wildaboutcats.org/borneo.htm
Old 29-08-06, 20:53

I wish you the best of luck on your adventure. I hope the photo chances are worth it.
All i can suggest is that you try asking on some travel forums. There will be people out there who have travelled in these places with a Dslr.
Old 30-08-06, 07:46

I bought some large plastic storage containers from a well known UK stationary shop whose name escapes me. They were than £10 each. Anyway, I did as you suggest, and as far as I can see it will do the job. The only concern I have is how to dry the silica gel once it has absorbed lots of moisture. I suppose I will put it on a radiator. (I have lots of small packs of the stuff.) BTW Fleabay is a good source of large packets of silica gel.

Leif
Old 30-08-06, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
I bought some large plastic storage containers from a well known UK stationary shop whose name escapes me. They were than £10 each. Anyway, I did as you suggest, and as far as I can see it will do the job. The only concern I have is how to dry the silica gel once it has absorbed lots of moisture. I suppose I will put it on a radiator. (I have lots of small packs of the stuff.) BTW Fleabay is a good source of large packets of silica gel.

Leif
I have used such storage containers for transporting camera equipment held in a soft camera bag already. The case was sent using a well known nationwide courier service. I have to say that on two separate occasions the plastic cases were damaged to the extent I wouldn't want to use them again. They are certainly not moisture proof. I definately would not want to use them again, unless they were in my own care.
Old 30-08-06, 10:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I have used such storage containers for transporting camera equipment held in a soft camera bag already. The case was sent using a well known nationwide courier service. I have to say that on two separate occasions the plastic cases were damaged to the extent I wouldn't want to use them again. They are certainly not moisture proof. I definately would not want to use them again, unless they were in my own care.
That's worth knowing. Mine are for storing equipment at home, but from what you say they might not be suitable for travelling. They look to be made from high density polyethylene/polythene. I suspect they are okay but if I was travelling I think I would subject one to a stress test e.g. drop from a height to determine how strong they are. I guess the advantage of Pelican cases is that the manufacturer provides the assurance that they will do the job. Leif
Old 30-08-06, 18:26

Thanks for the replies everyone. Subject to weight restrictions on the flight (and my perpetual lack of funds) I think I'll probably opt for the peli case. As Leif mentions, they are guarenteed to do the job. I've used smaller peli cases to house remote camera traps that I have built, which were frequently left out in my local woods over the winter, and they faired well. I'll have access to an oven whilst in the forest, so this can put to good use drying the silica out!