WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Use of Angle Finder with long Telephoto Lens

Old 04-07-06, 19:25

Default Use of Angle Finder with long Telephoto Lens

Does anyone have experience of using an Angle Finder on a digital SLR fitted with a long Telephoto/Zoom lens? I have a Canon EOS 350D (EOS Digital Rebel XT) plus a Sigma 50-500mm APO EX DG HSM lens. I would hope the extra variable magnification of the Canon C Angle finder would assist focusing, but was wondering if the image in the Angle Finder would be very dull used with this set-up, due to the many pieces of glass involved?

Roger

(I will also ask the same question on the Birdforum web-site.)
Old 04-07-06, 21:57

I routinely use a Nikon DR3 angle finder with a range of lenses, often in dark woods, and I find focussing is no more of a problem then when viewing directly, so light loss should be minimal. The DR3 does not magnify the image. However, you don't really want a right angle finder, and the prism will degrade he image a bit, and add to the price.

More suitable would be the Nikon DG-2 eyepice magnifier, which can flip out of the way for normal viewing, but I doubt it fits Canon.

Fortunately Canon have an equivalent called the Magnifier S, but sadly it has been discontinued:

http://www.majid.info/mylos/weblog/2003/07/06-1.html

I'm sure you could find a second hand one. I bought my used DR3 on ebay for £24 compared to ~£100 for a used one on the high street. So with luck you will get a Canon Magnifier S for not too many readies.

As an aside, I wrap bright yellow tape around my DR3, so that when I put it down on the ground, I will find it easily. I lost my first DR3 in the New Forest. It was in mint condition too.

Leif
Old 05-07-06, 15:34

I think there are all sorts of third-party focusing and viewing aids available too.
Old 05-07-06, 17:11

Thankyou Leif and Tannin for your responses - I may have to check into more than my initial theories.

Roger