WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Cable release on Nikon D2X

Old 14-09-06, 15:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
I agree. I used to have an MR-3 and as I understand it all that the MC-30 does is make and break a connection between two pins. The MR-3 does the same. I suppose someone with your engineering skills could make an equivalent.

Leif,

I have not taken mine apart to look inside but I think you are right re making a connection between two pins. I would also need to establish which 2 of the 10 pins are the trip ones. Job for a rainy day or two.

Don
Old 06-10-06, 10:08

Just thought I'd mention that Nikon did honour the warranty without question, and apologised for the delay in replying. Apparently they had problems with the database. Anyway, it took about 18 days for a new MC30 to reach me. So I would say that the service was good.

Leif
Old 21-10-06, 21:58

The Chinese clone has now stopped working. Back to the Nikon MC-30 for a few months until that ones breaks ... Hohum.

Leif
Old 21-10-06, 22:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
The Chinese clone has now stopped working. Back to the Nikon MC-30 for a few months until that ones breaks ... Hohum.

Leif
Leif,

Unfortunately I am following this with some interest.
I am sorry for your experiences Leif, kind of glad I made my own now. I did wonder if, from your pobs with the first one and disintigrating rubber, a materials Quality control issue had been raised that was not truely owned up to. Hence lack of general supply. Having spent many years in manufacturing production I am all too aware of what happens behind the scenes. Stop any more going out and hope we can solve it before too many people return units for warranty replacements.

Unfortunately in manufacturing these things do happen if you do not directly control all processes. In this case I am sure Nikons supplier will have been given a serious roasting as would any of ours. Not a lot of help to the end customer though I know.

Are you aware of where the fault lies in Chinese version?

Don
Old 22-10-06, 00:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Leif,

Unfortunately I am following this with some interest.
I am sorry for your experiences Leif, kind of glad I made my own now. I did wonder if, from your pobs with the first one and disintigrating rubber, a materials Quality control issue had been raised that was not truely owned up to. Hence lack of general supply. Having spent many years in manufacturing production I am all too aware of what happens behind the scenes. Stop any more going out and hope we can solve it before too many people return units for warranty replacements.

Unfortunately in manufacturing these things do happen if you do not directly control all processes. In this case I am sure Nikons supplier will have been given a serious roasting as would any of ours. Not a lot of help to the end customer though I know.

Are you aware of where the fault lies in Chinese version?

Don

Hello Don

I opened up the Chinese hand set using some jewellers screwdrivers I have, and there are three wires that are poorly soldered to three plates, which come into contact when the trigger is fully depressed. However, the contacts seem okay, so I am not sure where the problem lies. Maybe at the other end.

Leif
Old 22-10-06, 10:23

Leif,

You may not feel it worth bothering, but if you do perhaps a multimeter circuit check. Also run the cable through your fingers. If you feel a bump then the odds are one of the wires has broken inside. Cannot remember when or what it related to, but sometime in my past I have come across this. In that case the wire was not suited to constant flexing.If so, you may be able to make a shortened lead version.

As there are 3 leads inside, it sounds like I will not be able to do anything about a mod of my MR-3 as that only has 2 pins.

Don