WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Another tripod help thread....

Old 18-04-06, 09:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski
Don

Have I started a trend here with the Barcode test ? I never thought it would catch on. What is the distance from your lens to target ?

I see on your test the small black & white size is 10 pixels whereas Roy's was 6 pixels. Surely you can match Roy's test.

Rob,

Biggest problem I had was the wind. As this was a tripod test I had to set the target at 6 feet above ground to have the tripod on a normal working extension.

Perhaps we need a WPF test target based on your bar code idea.

This was an interesting experience as the first test used a 5 litre container of cement for stability but checking the results showed softness in some shots and not in others. Given that wind effect on he target was negligble due to is weight and some of the worst results were at high shutter speeds. I put the camera on my big Slik tripod and re-did the series. Same problem but at different settings to the first test. I replaced the target with the plasticiser container a bit nearer and out of the wind and used manual focus. No problems. I now recognise that my A/F does not give guaranteed accuracy on semi shiny surfaces.

Don
Old 18-04-06, 20:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo
Hi Leif

There's no confusion, the Uniloc 1700 Minor is a different tripod to the 1600, check out the Uniloc web link below.

http://www.ukray.com/uniloc/system.htm

nirofo.
Yes, the 1600 and 1700 both use the same leg tubes so I reckon they are basically the same. I've seen kits to convert the 1600 into the 1700.

Anyway, do you find the bendy bit on the central column to be of use, or does it introduce weakness?

Leif
Old 18-04-06, 23:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
Yes, the 1600 and 1700 both use the same leg tubes so I reckon they are basically the same. I've seen kits to convert the 1600 into the 1700.

Anyway, do you find the bendy bit on the central column to be of use, or does it introduce weakness
?

Leif

Hi Leif

The Uniloc 1600 Major is a totally different beast to the 1600 and 1700 Minor, check the web link I included in my previous post. Yes I find the bendy bit very useful when working close to the ground, it allows me to keep the camera horizontal while still having full movement on my ball and socket head.

nirofo.
Old 19-04-06, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo
Hi Leif

The Uniloc 1600 Major is a totally different beast to the 1600 and 1700 Minor, check the web link I included in my previous post.
nirofo.
Yes I know. I am commenting on the 1600 which I own and the 1700 which you own and not the 1600 major. I do wish they would use different names. And for their own sake they should tartify their web site to make it look more professional.

Thanks for the info on the bendy bit. It might be worth my buying one. Leif
Old 19-04-06, 14:24

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Stephen I have several tripods, the big Slik Proffesional you used on Saturday, Benbo Mk1, the set of bagpipes we put the Spitfire on, Manfrotto 055MF3, and an old Slik88.

I will instantly cross out the Slik88 as I only use it for my flash. Just not stable enough.

Don
I've had a Slik 88 for more than 20 years and have always loved it. Sadly it now has a damaged lock on one leg. I keep trying to figure a way to fix the problem meanwhile I use it for shots where I don't need all the leg extension.
I have a Swarovski tripod (made by Manfroto I believe). It is very rigid and solid for using a scope but I don't particularly like it for camera use.
Old 19-04-06, 14:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowyowl
I've had a Slik 88 for more than 20 years and have always loved it. Sadly it now has a damaged lock on one leg.
20 yrs eh, they don't build em to last do they
Old 19-04-06, 15:49

Thumbs up Benbo / Uniloc

As this tripod has been mentioned in this thread I took a couple of pictures that might be of interst to those unfamiliar with the product.

This is a tripod that is superb for nature photography. The querky design hinges on the single operating lever. Unlock this and you have a wobbly set of bagbipes. The design allows the legs and head tube to be infinitely angled and with the lever locked up it is a very ridgid tripod. The bottom leg section is sealed so it can be used in the most hostile of environments.

Here is a link to Uniloc http://www.ukray.com/uniloc/system.htm

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Benbo 1.jpg (143.1 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Benbo 2.jpg (131.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Benbo 3.jpg (92.4 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Benbo foot.jpg (54.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 19-04-06, 15:52

Default My recommendation

I would recommend to Stephen that even though it breaks his budget, he looks at a studio grade tripod. The logic being that it would be capable of holding any of his kit. So it is a recommendation for the long term, without the potential need for upgrade in the future. It takes into consideration the D2X resolution and also the quality of Stephens glass.

There is no doubt that the 055 would be a significant step up from the current tripod, but with limitations.

To illustrate the differences I have attached pics comparing my Slik professional with the 055 and Benbo.

In the image of all three tripods the legs are at full extension. The D100 with 80-200 is to give scale.
As I have posted seperately for the Benbo where its top leg section can be seen, I have done a comparative pic between the 055 and the Slik.
I have included a picture of all three feet for area of surface contact, reference. The Slik obviously wins on a hard surface and the Benbo/Uniloc off road.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3 tripods.jpg (96.3 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg MF3_Slik top comparison.jpg (82.8 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 3 tripod footprints.jpg (127.3 KB, 12 views)
Old 19-04-06, 17:27

I think it is worth my mentioning that IMO the Benbo Trekker, which is the smallest full size tripod in the Benbo range, is not worth buying. I found that it was not very sturdy, and is supplied with a small and inadequate ball head. I bought one about 10 years ago but it was badly made. After a year of amateur use a leg fell off and had to be glued back on, then after another 6 months the locking handle broke and I threw the remains into a dustbin.

Also note that in the pictures from Don showing the tripod feet, it looks as if the Benbo has the larger diameter legs. It doesn't. Most tripods have legs constructed from tubes that slide inside each other. Usually the widest section is at the top. But in the case of the Benbo, the widest section is at the bottom.

Leif
Old 19-04-06, 19:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
I think it is worth my mentioning that IMO the Benbo Trekker, which is the smallest full size tripod in the Benbo range, is not worth buying. I found that it was not very sturdy, and is supplied with a small and inadequate ball head. I bought one about 10 years ago but it was badly made. After a year of amateur use a leg fell off and had to be glued back on, then after another 6 months the locking handle broke and I threw the remains into a dustbin.

Also note that in the pictures from Don showing the tripod feet, it looks as if the Benbo has the larger diameter legs. It doesn't. Most tripods have legs constructed from tubes that slide inside each other. Usually the widest section is at the top. But in the case of the Benbo, the widest section is at the bottom

Leif
Hi Leif

I agree the Benbo Trekker is not a very well made tripod, a friend of mine had one for a while, he was always having trouble with it. The Uniloc 1700 Minor is a far more robust and versatile tripod, it's only slightly heavier than the Trekker and slightly cheaper to buy! The Uniloc range of tripods are very similar to the Benbo range, they are designed and made by the original designer of the Benbo but are superior in build quality.

nirofo.