WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

Flash - Behind the scenes

Old 24-05-06, 22:31

Leif,

How large are the subjects you are considering ?

I have two large graduated backgrounds that are washable silk finish plastic. They are years old so no idea of current cost. NFB may be able to advise. I also use a piece of black velvet - very handy for absobing light. I have also used a multitude of things including an off cut of steel sheet, it depends on the subject. My feeling is that any background material should not be glossy but silk or matt. Handicraft shops generally sell a reasonable range of paper/card materials that may be suitable up to A3 size.

Don
Old 24-05-06, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
Does anyone have suggestions for suitable background material, both white and black? Fabric is okay but can get dirty, so I would have thought that some sort of flexible plastic sheeting that can be wiped clean would be ideal. I'm not sure if matt or gloss is better. I see that Speed Graphic and others sell portable backgrounds but they cost a fortune for something that must be cheap to knock together. Thus far I've used sheets of paper but that's only suitable for small objects. Using multiple sheets of paper causes shadows where the sheets overlap.

Regarding diffusers, I also use Lastolites. I've got numerous ones, though the smallest are poorly made as the metal rim soon cuts through the surrounding fabric. They are useful for outdoor photography too.

Leif
For work in the studio, esp using flash, I have found that Black Colorama roll can be problamatical, as it often comes out grey unless you mask it from the flash guns. The best stuff I have found is black velvet, bought from a fabric shop. Its relatively cheap, but it really does absorb the light and remains black. For white, I have always used Artic White Colorama, with plenty of light put on it, at least 1/2 stop higher or more than the subject, you always get it white, though sometimes a little spotting is needed

For diffusers, a cheap option can be to use large sheets of tracing paper, maybe more than one layer sometimes.
Old 25-05-06, 07:55

Default Just hope the Mrs doesn't read this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif
Does anyone have suggestions for suitable background material, both white and black? Leif
The background for my recent K1000 pics, and also my earlier corkscrew pics is actually a pair of my wife's trousers. I find keeping the hanger on them allows the hook of the hanger to be held up by a table-top tripod to create a nice sweeping backdrop.

Before you go spending any cash, have a look at things you already have.
Old 25-05-06, 21:42

Default First try!!

Hi Guys
This is my first attempt at still life photography using on camera flash, slave flash, diffusers, Using what I've learned on this excellent thread.
What do you think (I'm not sure I've got it quite right yet) I'm waiting for a new slave unit with swivel head to see if bouncing flash will improve the technique.
Any comments on if or where I've gone wrong would be appreciated
Thanks
Lello
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oly.jpg (91.9 KB, 12 views)
Old 25-05-06, 22:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lello
Hi Guys
This is my first attempt at still life photography using on camera flash, slave flash, diffusers, .......... Any comments on if or where I've gone wrong would be appreciated
Thanks
Lello
Lello,

For a first effort this is amazing - incredible, what can I say.

It is so good I can only be supercritical and find the only things really wrong, and that is not much.

I have marked up a copy of your image with these.

I look forward to seeing more of your work. A welcome participant in this thread.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lello Oly Comment.jpg (113.4 KB, 13 views)
Old 25-05-06, 22:28

Lello,

I just checked and its not in the gallery !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don
Old 25-05-06, 22:56

Hi Don
It's now in the gallery, Thank very much for your kind words, Maybe I'm being over critical on myself, It's just yours and Stephen's shots look so much better than mine.
I will have to keen on trying now you have given me some confidence.
Watch this space
Lello
Old 25-05-06, 22:58

By the way don, That dust was Bahamian sand Which was not supposed to be there!!

Last edited by Lello; 25-05-06 at 23:00.
Old 25-05-06, 23:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lello
Maybe I'm being over critical on myself, It's just yours and Stephen's shots look so much better than mine.
Lello
Lello,

I think you probably are being too critical. I would not have dared to post my first, second or third shot.

Don
Old 25-05-06, 23:18

Yes Don (Teacher ) but don't forget I had the advantage of reading this thread (that you started) that helped me to get to where I am today, so thanks again for this thread.