WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Ring Flash

Old 16-09-14, 03:46

Default Ring Flash

I have been asked about using a ring flash and I have no idea whatsoever, anyone use these and what's the best to get for a Nikon D40?
Old 16-09-14, 11:30

There are different sorts of ring lights. What are you going to be using it for.
Old 18-09-14, 17:18

Portrait / still life / macro
Old 18-09-14, 17:43

I would go for something like this that just attaches to your flash. It will do great as an all rounder.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Enlight-Phot.../dp/B0033WT9TK
Old 19-09-14, 14:26

Thanks Jonni, it's for my daughter who will be doing a wedding shoot for a friend and as she has a few bob she'd want a high end flash that will do a good to super job! Women hey?
Old 18-01-18, 14:19

I'm a beginner and ask for advice .;-)In which cases do you use a ring flash for portrait shots? I found an article that describes in detail what features to compare choosing ring lights. For example, fluorescent lamps provide a minor green shade whereas LED lamps add a bit of pink one.I want to make sure that I made the right choice. I prefer studio shooting.
Old 21-01-18, 12:37

Last year my fantastic Canon Twin Light macro flash gave up the ghost. It was going to cost several hundred pounds to repair, so I bought a Yongnuo ring flash. Obviously not as good as the Canon, but at approx £900 cheaper it's a real bargain. Yongnuo also make a ring flash for Nikon at £80. I would suggest you have a look

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0155VQY...ywords=yongnuo

Harry
Old 30-01-18, 07:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfie View Post
Last year my fantastic Canon Twin Light macro flash gave up the ghost. It was going to cost several hundred pounds to repair, so I bought a Yongnuo ring flash. Obviously not as good as the Canon, but at approx £900 cheaper it's a real bargain. Yongnuo also make a ring flash for Nikon at £80. I would suggest you have a look

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0155VQY...ywords=yongnuo

Harry
Nice. thanks for sharing
Old 15-03-18, 04:54

You have 3 goals: Portrait / still life / macro.
I used to have a Nikon D40 but not sure about the dedicated flashes.
I say because your wish list is rather long and you need to figure out where your exact area of desire is, so that you can invest more focally, for now don't go anything fancy or abnormally expensive such as manufacturer's own flashes etc. As said start with a cheap ring flash that does all the basics for the Macro and gives you a real hand on work experience. If you decided that it is for you, you can always empty your pocket as you like in a later phase, at least with less financial causalities.
Macro is all about "Manual" so I suggest something easy, cheap and manual such as this one:

LINK

that for about $22 or £ 15 or so, you simply can't go wrong.

Then if you really like to work it for Portrait, these flashes are not what you should actually look for. You are a lot better to go for simple portable flash case such as this one that will fit most common flash heads of any manufacturer and give a pleasant and wanted result for under $100. This one actually collapses well into a very small size and easily portable in usual camera bag, when not in use.

LINK

For portrait, there are a lot more other options but returning to your question, this is closest I can come with.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 15-03-18 at 04:57.