WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Chimping, is it just me?

Old 29-05-06, 23:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv
chimping - what a great term, not one I've heard before...

Personally I don't tend to do it much, the odd look to check that I'm happy with the settings and that the exposure's about right.
Hey you are doing it then Everyone chimps to a greater or lesser degree
Old 30-05-06, 08:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
I love chimping, it's one of my favourite pastimes. I learned a lot from it too - more fun than endless 'tutorials and lectures' from my husband.

I don't review each and every shot but I certainly have a quick look after a series (aka a blast off) and I usually make sure I have a few that look something like I wanted before I leave.

Battery power has never really a problem for me with the istD as it can use 2xCRV3 or 4 AA .........and I have a stock of CRV3 so I always carry a couple of spares.

Pol.
Old 30-05-06, 08:47
Chris

It would be really great to have Duncan's confidence and maybe with DSLRs you are getting a true preview before pressing the button. However, I don't trust either the box or my skills and not only 'chimp' but take several of each as well to make sure. Amazing how many times you cannot go back for a retry.

FZ7 must be the chimpers delight with review/8x magnification on option without moving from shooting setting in use.
Old 30-05-06, 10:44

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

I usually take several shots with slightly differnt focus. I "chimp' after taking a series of shots. I think that I should be doing a lot more of it. There's nothing more frustrating than to find out too late that a shot isn't what you had hoped and the opportunity to re-shoot is gone.
Old 30-05-06, 11:09

I have little or no film experience so digital photography is all I know. I started using a Fuji S2 and used the screen to measure brightness and composition. I soon realized this drew lots from my batteries and stopped this practice to enjoy better battery life. I then upgraded to Nikon D2X which has lots of information concerning the images, master histogram, RGB histogram, highlight warning, focus selection area and clear and easy image zoom. I soon became a 'Chimper'.

Chimping allows me to obtain correct exposure through compensation and ascertain it the last shot was clear or not. Slow shutters are required for motion blur for props and rotors and I feel its important and satisfying to chimp.

After spending the winter doing still life and family photography I felt 1/125 was a fast shutter speed at an airshow, chimping allowed he to realize this was not the case and better photos followed using faster shutter selection.

To extend discussion, does anyone know where the term 'Chimping' came from or why people who look at their camera screen following a shutter actuation are know as 'Chimpers'?
Old 30-05-06, 11:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox

To extend discussion, does anyone know where the term 'Chimping' came from or why people who look at their camera screen following a shutter actuation are know as 'Chimpers'?
HaHa I thought that was obvious Stephen, Have a look at the video I linked to in my first post in this thread, alternatively check out http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Chimping
Basically its a reference to the sounds photoraphers make when reviewing their shots which is similar to that of chimps Oooh! Oooh! Aaah!
Old 30-05-06, 17:05
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Indeed they do... I think that in some areas it's more useful to chimp than in others. Most of my photography is of birds, often you just get one chance to get 'the shot' so there's not much point in chimping as I can't re-take with a different exposure comp...

I have also found out in the past that a shot that looks good on the camera's screen could well be not much crack when I get it on the computer. So I try not to chimp as it can give me false hope/expectations of a shot.
Old 30-05-06, 17:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv
Indeed they do... I think that in some areas it's more useful to chimp than in others. Most of my photography is of birds, often you just get one chance to get 'the shot' so there's not much point in chimping as I can't re-take with a different exposure comp...

I have also found out in the past that a shot that looks good on the camera's screen could well be not much crack when I get it on the computer. So I try not to chimp as it can give me false hope/expectations of a shot.
Chimping will give an idea for the order of compensation required and chimping for a histogram will suggest how the exposure turned out despite how an image is displayed on screen.
Old 30-05-06, 22:37

I do the same as Peter(postcard).I never check/chimp an image after taking the shot.again,most of my photography shots are of birds,I am too busy keeping my eye on them,waiting for them to stop preening etc,but,and this is a big but!!!.If I was able to understand a histogram,and I did check each image,I would have realised a couple of times that the exposure setting had been accidentally knocked down a couple of stops,and I could have rectified the error,there and then,as opposed to a couple of days later,whereupon I ruined some Lapwing shots.
But ,yes ,I do see people taking a shot,and then reviewing/chimping each time,a matter of personal preference ,I guess.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 30-05-06, 23:04

Probably not often enough. I have to stick my reading glasses on now if I have to look at camera setting etc. ( ageing eyes ). Mainly to check when I am exposure compensating or if I think the subject moved whilst the mirror was blocking my view ( flowers in the wind ). I find the screen too dim in bright outdoor light anyway to see anything of much use. Like other birders too busy keeping an eye on the subject. ( It's the little one that never sit still for 2 seconds )

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated