WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

How do you take a photograph if the subject is behind a tranparent glass

Old 23-02-06, 22:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero
Please all look, especially Andy Bright and let us know what you think???
regards Subzero.
That certainly is some scope. Andy would not need to get out of bed for his aircraft shots with that one.

Gives new meaning to long range photography.

Don
Old 23-02-06, 22:45

To help those on a dial up connection here is a link http://www.kowa-usa.com/sporting_opt...uct_ss_td1.php

Don
Old 23-02-06, 22:46

Good for digiscoping,the scope has a built in camera?,am I correct,here Manjeet.
Yes,Andy,please give us your views on this.Do I recall a thread on BF,quite some time ago,where this was mentioned.Could this be the answer to a digiscopers dream,or would it be placed in the same category as bins/cam combo?.
Manjeet can quite see why you now need to be 20ft away from your tanks,have you not a compact cam you could use,which has a zoom facility?.

Manjeet,have you any photos/shots you have already taken with this set up?.It would be very interesting to see one?

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356

Last edited by Christine; 23-02-06 at 22:50.
Old 24-02-06, 03:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero
Hi Manjeet,
Your post first made me think you were having a laugh on us, and the various replies "seemed" to indicate that; especially with the 20 feet bit!
Then I thought TDI =Turbo Diesel Injection (car), and then I thought pet "Jaws" in tank, stand well back.Then I thought, no such thing as a silly question, only a silly answer.So I went google, typed in "kowa TDI", and what a supprise I got.Please all look, especially Andy Bright and let us know what you think???
regards Subzero.
Oh i love jokes but this time the joke is on me-Kowa T.D1-yes so many things are written in the guide book 3/4 i dont understand(idiot in cameras+scope)i have asked in the birdforum about how to understand the Kowa T.D.1 but either they think i am joking(ah) or they dont have the time to reply to me a diapper birder or photography.At least you saw Subzero what i am talking about.Thanks guy waiting for reply.
Old 24-02-06, 03:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
Good for digiscoping,the scope has a built in camera?,am I correct,here Manjeet.
Yes,Andy,please give us your views on this.Do I recall a thread on BF,quite some time ago,where this was mentioned.Could this be the answer to a digiscopers dream,or would it be placed in the same category as bins/cam combo?.
Manjeet can quite see why you now need to be 20ft away from your tanks,have you not a compact cam you could use,which has a zoom facility?.

Manjeet,have you any photos/shots you have already taken with this set up?.It would be very interesting to see one?
Christine all my pics in the gallery B.F. and WPF are taken by this camera-you see i am a fumbling goof with mechanical things-so waited were every thing(scope+camera were married i guess-it gives lovely pics)check my my galleryB.F or here in WPF.It has so many features more i am only using 25% -because i dont know howE.G-it can take 6shot at ine time and show you the best picture on the L.C.d. screen.Look i am going to print the guide book(they parts that are needed and try to E-mail to you or Andy if he has the time.My best pic's i think is -i am going to try the attachment.With this camera +scope-i hardly use my bins because i stand 500feet away and set it up and scane the area for birds-believe me it takes make a30mins to spot a movement and i zoom in the bird is quite clear but if i take a shot the pic is small but still clear.The best shot i find from25 feet 50feet-all details are quite clear.This laughing thrush-2o to 25 feet(the closer you are the bigger the pics.On the tripod and using the remote there hardly any shakes.But may be the experts can burrow one and see for us-i am sure Kowa will be happy to lend one to Andy.Rest my case 20feet to shot my fish pics.(ah).Waiting for reply.P.S. i had asked about the use of Kowa scope in Andy's thread but i never got a reply -i think andy and the rest were quite busy.So stumbled,slipped and fumbled my way to photographing birds etc. but loved every minute of it.Thanks waiting for replies.Thanks.(p.s.-Mf-20meters or less-auto doesnt work and 20meters or more A.F.works well .I find the M.F. easier to use because when the bird is almost ready to fly-auto focus takes time,while manual i can take a shot usualy before it flies away -80% of the time.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 145bf.JPG (61.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by Dr.Manjeet Singh; 24-02-06 at 05:44.
Old 24-02-06, 09:56

It looks to be an impressive piece of kit for bird photography Manjeet.

I have just looked at the PDF specs from the link I posted. I'm afraid I still don't have an answer for taking you fish pictures with it though. I have saved the PDF to my computer to help in answering any other questions though.

Don
Old 24-02-06, 10:28

Thinking about this Manjeet, I think you need to see where the reflections on the glass are coming from when you view the fish tank from the scope position. You may then be able to mask those reflections with card.

When I am doing flash I quite often use card to prevent light falling on parts of the subject.

Is it possible to get a pic of the whole tank at minimum magnification that might give a bit of an idea of your problem ?

Don
Old 24-02-06, 11:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Thinking about this Manjeet, I think you need to see where the reflections on the glass are coming from when you view the fish tank from the scope position. You may then be able to mask those reflections with card.

When I am doing flash I quite often use card to prevent light falling on parts of the subject.

Is it possible to get a pic of the whole tank at minimum magnification that might give a bit of an idea of your problem ?

Don
Well i am going to try when there are no patients in the practice.I had a heavy day.Please keep looking to see how i can improve my photography with this Monster(loveble off cause).Thanks.
Old 24-02-06, 12:48

Manjeet,
When we took images of fish in tanks,we did the following, which may/may not be of use as a starter for you.
Clean inside and outside of the glass panel that you are going take image through.Get a piece of clear glass that is almost same size as the end panel you are going to shoot through.This piece glass is so that you can "contain" the fish within a "narrow band" and maintain a constant focus on it.You will need one/two flash units of low to medium power ie not one which turns night into day(unless power can be turned down).Try one at front above the fish (right up against the glass) at about 30deg to the glass and if required the other from the side.Do not worry too much at this stage about reflections, lets see if you can at least get an image and then see where the reflections are coming from.Try to avoid areas of the tanks where the airation pipes etc are, and allow the fish to settle otherwise it may churn up loads of sediment from the tank bottom.Don Hoey maybe able to advise you on how to trigger the flash from 20 feet.
What sort of fish is it anyway?
regards subzero
Old 24-02-06, 23:14

Good Thrush image,Manjeet.Very close up.Keep practising.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356