WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

RAW files advice please

Old 04-09-13, 18:43

Default RAW files advice please

I have started to shoot in just RAW (used to do RAW +JPEG) and I'm trying to be more professional and organised with my storage. I use an old MAC Pro with an ancient processor and can't upload any new software. I use Adobe DNG to convert my images from RAW to DNG, as the MAC won't read the RAW files. I then use Adobe camera RAW to view and edit my DNG images before opening 'normal' photoshop (only CS3).

Each of the images I keep are in their own separate folder, which contains the RAW image (CR2), the DNG image, a PSD image and the final JPEG image once its edited. What I need to know is, do I need to keep the original CR2 images once they are converted, or is the same info contained in the DNG file as the RAW file?
Old 04-09-13, 23:33
Super Moderator

As I understand it the DNG will contain all info that the CR2 does and is just as useable a file type. You must be using up a lot of hard drive space saving four copies of each photo. I only keep my raw files on my PC. I use Lightroom for editing my RAWs and it saves a sidecar file with any editing that I have done. That way I can go back to the raw and either tweak my editing or output jpgs or tiffs as needed.
Old 05-09-13, 21:07

So do you think I can just dump the CR2 files and keep the DNG's?
Old 05-09-13, 22:30
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiDiva View Post
So do you think I can just dump the CR2 files and keep the DNG's?
I would think so, although the CR2 files are much smaller so it might be worth keepin them and ditching the DNGs once you have generatd the PSDs. You can always o back and generate new DNGs if you ever need them again.