WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Off Topic > Computers and The Internet

Computers and The Internet This is the place to ask questions and discuss the complex world of computer and internet issues.

Unknown email

Old 16-06-06, 14:06
Super Moderator

Default Unknown email

I have just received an email from the following Tradersworld with attachments.
There is an article photo zip file to be checked would you think it to be safe it passed through my email virus checker. The only photo's I have ever sent out are to digital camera mag and Canon imagine. They do have a website. Do you think it is safe to open to check the photo to see what it is.

Hello,

Your photograph has reached editing stage as part of an article we are publishing for our July edition of Traders World Monthly. Can you check over the format and get back to us with your approval or any changes?

If the picture is not to your liking then please send a preferred one. We've attached the photo with the article here.

Kind regards,
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 16-06-06, 14:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
I have just received an email from the following Tradersworld with attachments.
There is an article photo zip file to be checked would you think it to be safe it passed through my email virus checker. The only photo's I have ever sent out are to digital camera mag and Canon imagine. They do have a website. Do you think it is safe to open to check the photo to see what it is.

Hello,

Your photograph has reached editing stage as part of an article we are publishing for our July edition of Traders World Monthly. Can you check over the format and get back to us with your approval or any changes?

If the picture is not to your liking then please send a preferred one. We've attached the photo with the article here.

Kind regards,
Do not open the attachment Christine, I got one also this morning. However during my AV progs regular virus scan it was picked up as a Backdoor virus.
Old 16-06-06, 14:48
Super Moderator

Thanks Stephen.

I nearly did open it as they do have a website but I have never subscribed to them so thought better of it. I am currently running a virus scan just to check all drives. Trend found a trojan yesterday, I don't know when that was put on as I check every day. I only ever download files from my usual sites I suppose it goes with the territory of being switched on all day sometimes unattended.

Christine
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 16-06-06, 14:48

For what its worth, I have attached a copy of the details from Trend Micro regarding the file.
Attached Files
File Type: zip TREND MICRO - Security Information BKDR_BREPBOT_A.zip (90.1 KB, 6 views)
Old 16-06-06, 14:54
Super Moderator

Thanks I may download AV and run that as well some programs miss some of the newer virus's.

Old 16-06-06, 14:56
Super Moderator

[email protected] This was the name that came with the email.

Old 16-06-06, 15:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
[email protected] This was the name that came with the email.
Yes thats the one, there was another also purporting to be from CNN about two reporters who have taken photos of Osama bin Laden found hanging today, there was a zipped attachment, but it all went in the Junk email folder, which I have now emptied
Old 16-06-06, 15:07
Super Moderator

Thanks for the confirmation I will bin it virus checking has shown evrything clear, RELIEF.

Old 16-06-06, 19:48

Never open any email if you do not know the source. It mught just be spam but losts of virus are spread this way. I just received one claiming to be looking for accident witnesses.
Old 17-08-06, 13:01
Super Moderator

Help I have just received another email from worldpay wanting to verify a transaction I haven't made is this a scam to get details.They say they have tried to phone but it is the wrong number. I have just gone onto worldpays website and downloaded the following. the name on the email was ronald.

Bogus emails: In the last few hours some customers have received at least one email from a 3rd party pretending to be WorldPay - some using the bogus address pay_support@worldpay / [email protected] / [email protected] and the name Ronald Grow - but other names and addresses may also be used. This email is not from WorldPay - we recommend you delete it and do not open any attachments it may contain.
Tel: +44 (0)870 366 1233 (24 hour Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm Sat GMT)
(Emergency cover only: Sat 12am - 9am, Sat 5pm - Mon 1am GMT)