WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

DIY Ringflash

Old 03-01-07, 00:17

Reading this thread has made me wonder how many other photographers are there out there trying to come up with something like this. I wonder if there is a market out there for these things.
Old 03-01-07, 10:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
I will be having another play tomorrow to see whether it will work with my ext tubes and my macro rails. It will be great if it does work.

I will hold off on Part 2, in case futher mods required. I have not tried tubes yet and need to check out lens to subject distances. Too close and the subject may well fall into a central shadow area caused by the hood. The test image I put in the gallery is full frame and subject 1 inch long, but without further mods I may have reached the limit.

Don
Old 03-01-07, 11:29
Super Moderator

Don, I have set up and used the ext tubes on the 50mm lens, I used all three to give a good close up. Both photos' were taken at F14, I thought I had set it at f16 but never mind its close.
The first photo the diffuser was set halfway down, Like in the photo with the 300mm lens so the lens was sticking out about 4". You can see how much light has been lost in the bottom half. The 2nd Photo I put it just so as the lens poked out about a 1/4" at the same f stop and it lit up the subject much better, it has still lost a little light underneath but not much.

Both photo are un-retouched, they are straight out of the camera only cropped.

I will carry on playing to see if I can get a more even lighting but I think if it done to much it will lose any modeling effect.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg extdifback030107-002.jpg (58.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg extdiforward30107-002.jpg (126.6 KB, 12 views)
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 03-01-07, 11:41

Quote:
Don, I have set up and used the ext tubes on the 50mm lens, I used all three to give a good close up. Both photos' were taken at F14, ....................................
.................................................. .................
Both photo are un-retouched, they are straight out of the camera only cropped.

I will carry on playing to see if I can get a more even lighting but I think if it done to much it will lose any modeling effect.
Christine,

Good result, and f14 from a pop-up and with that much extension is pretty impressive.

When I have done my jobs I will also have a go. Afraid I do not have any flowers other than the still flowering fuchsia, so may do a trip to town and buy some. I'll put it down to development costs.

Don
Old 03-01-07, 11:49
Super Moderator

I have just had a thought taken from one of your earlier post of using some sort of tube inside the the diffuser, it would have to be much bigger to allow the lens to slide in and not be obstructed, I will wrap the outside of the tube in foil or the alluminion tape and see if that gives a more even light and help it to continue bouncing the light around. It is going to mean I have to remove the front filter though
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 03-01-07, 12:02

Christine,

Can you post a pic 3/4 view so I can see your current set up.

In my earlier experiments the tube bouncing light round increased the amount reaching round the bowl. You can test for yourself if you can aim the set up at a reflective surface. I used the glass of the workshop door to take pics of the light flow round the bowl. That was how I came up with the idea.

Don
Old 03-01-07, 12:41
Super Moderator

To late Don I have already took it apart and added the tube in the middle..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3443.jpg (62.4 KB, 33 views)

Old 03-01-07, 12:42

Thumbs up

Quote:
To late Don I have already took it apart and added the tube in the middle..
Now that should work Christine.

don
Old 03-01-07, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollieholmes View Post
Reading this thread has made me wonder how many other photographers are there out there trying to come up with something like this. I wonder if there is a market out there for these things.
While waiting for Christine's pic I have Googled ' ringflash ' and we are not alone. Link http://www.dennisonbertram.com/hackm...ring-flash.htm.

So taking the DIYers out of the equation, I would guess market becomes quite limited. If you have the cash, you can buy an all singing and dancing unit, so what we are doing here will be of little interest.

Don
Old 03-01-07, 13:15

Just read through the link, and from the pic at the bottom it does work. Not sure I want to cut up one of my polystyrene reflectors though.

Just goes to show Ollie, that with a bit of imagination you can survive cash limitation.

Don