WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

DIY Ringflash

Old 03-01-07, 15:30

Just another slant on this DIY idea. Whilst in the supermarket I noticed some Aluminum foil pots and dishes. 5 for a pound. Could be useful for a one off setup and smaller lenses.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 03-01-07, 15:42
Super Moderator

Finished putting it all together Here is the final result.
I have put side on the deflector in front of the flash this has made a big difference. The photo of the light was done in a mirror as Don suggested, its not sharp as having all the Macro ext tubes on I couldn't focus
Wow that was enjoyable
Attached Images
File Type: jpg finisheflash30107.jpg (46.6 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg CRW_3414.jpg (39.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg finisheflash30107-006.jpg (12.4 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg finisheflash30107-003.jpg (49.8 KB, 27 views)
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 03-01-07, 15:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by robski View Post
Just another slant on this DIY idea. Whilst in the supermarket I noticed some Aluminum foil pots and dishes. 5 for a pound. Could be useful for a one off setup and smaller lenses.
Rob,
I was looking when in Morrisons but more for smarter than tin foil lining. No stock as sold out over Christmas. Did not think of it as a good pop-up ring though. Good plot though and I will check on next visit.

Don
Old 03-01-07, 15:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Finished putting it all together Here is the final result.
I have put side on the deflector in front of the flash this has made a big difference. The photo of the light was done in a mirror as Don suggested, its not sharp as having all the Macro ext tubes on I couldn't focus
Wow that was enjoyable
Christine,
That head on shot is brilliant. Much better than I achieved. Lovely flow of light round the ring.

Just back from town, no flowers so bought a plant. Currently on the draining board as it was bone dry so I gave it a good soak.

Glad I did not cut holes in my Morrisons bowls yet as head is now spinning with make better, thoughts.

Just wait for Lello to see your pics.

Don
Old 03-01-07, 16:09
Super Moderator

Don if you can get hold of that aluminium tape its brilliant I only paid a £1 for a 10 mtr roll at a pound shop and I have hardly used any. The only thing I may change if I find something better and that is the front opaque bit I think a whiter one maybe better thats where the tuppaware type of containers come in they have a lid.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 03-01-07, 16:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Don if you can get hold of that aluminium tape its brilliant I only paid a £1 for a 10 mtr roll at a pound shop and I have hardly used any. The only thing I may change if I find something better and that is the front opaque bit I think a whiter one maybe better thats where the tuppaware type of containers come in they have a lid.
Christine,

Initial thought were the bowl shaped one in yesterdays pic but you are probably right and the replacement for my acid bath, ( the one with the lid ), is looking ever more attractive. If you look at the head on pic you can see a crinkly finished surface ring round the outside.

If you want to try something else that I have not yet had a go with, try lining the bowl with printer paper. The light will be softer than from foil buy you should not need extra diffusion. Reduced reflectivity will probably cost you 1/2 a stop.

If you did not use additional diffusion on the posted pic then I don't think you have much to worry about, as those petals would have shown harshness if it was there.

I must go and eat then ....................... PLAY

Don
Old 03-01-07, 16:44
Super Moderator

Don, here is one final test image, the scissors were taken with a straight 50mm lens and our (Blue Peter) ring flash. I used an a4 sheet of white paper as a backdrop and placed the scissors 2" in front to see if there was any shadows. Lens was set at F16. To get the whole of the scissors in the viewfinder I was about 2ft away. I think between the three of us we have cracked it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scissors030107-003.jpg (150.4 KB, 35 views)

Old 03-01-07, 17:26

Excellent job Christine.

I will now play with seperate flash for the benefit of those like Foxy and me who do not have pop-up. D100 is Stevies.

Don
Old 03-01-07, 20:16
Super Moderator

Don, how about something like this to attach an external flash, I can't try it as I don't have a sync lead (Something else I need to buy) but with the lead it would make the flash sit slightly higher on the bracket and make it point forwards instead of up at an angle. I would think the d70 and d100 is flat on the top, not like mine with the pop up flash. Just a thought.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg largeflashs030107.jpg (175.1 KB, 43 views)

Old 03-01-07, 22:06

Sorry It's taken me so long to get back to you. I'm sharing the P.C with my son at the moment, Apparently his University assignment is more important than my ring flash Christine, I'm very impressed with your Blue peter effort
looks good enough to sell to the world,
Don, your efforts with diagrams and enthusiasm etc never ceases to amaze me.
Well down to my measly effort.
In the first shot you can see the ring flash reflection in the bauble, and I'm now happy with the even spread of light, The second photo shows that I've now sorted out the uneven light by adding white foam to the window, see photo no three. And Finally the cardboard tube has been changed to a (don't laugh) tinned Tomato can with both end cut off. I will post a photo in my gallery later on.
Well done to all three of us, we accomplished what we set out to do, Making an inexpensive working ring flash
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baubles.jpg (69.8 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg ringlight.jpg (48.3 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg bowl.jpg (54.9 KB, 33 views)

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos

Last edited by Lello; 03-01-07 at 22:43.