WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Re-sizing for the gallery

Old 02-03-07, 20:29

Default Re-sizing for the gallery

I would like to know the best way to re-size my pics for the gallery,I have cs2 and I was just re-sizing them by reducing the pixel size to get under the 300kb limit but I believe it is better to compress the jpeg more,can anyone help please.Please forgive me if this has been answered before.
Old 02-03-07, 20:54

somert8,

If you are using CS2, the way I do it is to resize the image to 1024 pixels wide (landscape) or 800 pixels high (portrait) by
Image > Image Size , entering the dimensions I've just given, ensuring that all boxes "Scale Styles", "Constrain Proportions" and "Resample Image" are ticked. I use the option "Bicubic" against the Resample Image box.

Then
File > Save As , give the file a suitable new name, and pick JPEG as the file format. Click on "Save".

You are then presented with a JPEG options dialogue box with a numerical setting for Image Options. I find that a setting of 6 or 7 is quite good enough for viewing on WPF. This should get you a file size of typically 100kB to 130kB (depending on the picture).

Hope this helps.

Duncan
Old 02-03-07, 21:09

Well,many thanks again Duncan,your help was spot on,my file is now bigger on screen,but is a smaller file size,I do think it looks better and I`ll sort the other three out.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...00&ppuser=2183

Cheers
Old 02-03-07, 22:03

Somert,the way I do this is by re-sizing the image to say 1025 max,then going to Save for Web function.when the box appears,in the top right hand corner you will see-Preset-custom is in the box next to this.Just to the right of this box,you will see an arrow,click on this and a box comes up Optimize to file size.Click on this box,and a small box appears,where you can set the size of file required.I set mine to 200 then it meets the requirements of BF.click okay in this small box,this then dissappears,and your pic is re sized in a JPEG format.You are also given a reading as to the quality of your pic.It is so easy.The picture is perfect.
This may sound complicated,but I promise it is very,very simple.You can save in higher pixels(higher than 1025 etc).But if your image is very large say the original size at 3000 plus,it will advise that you do lower the size.There is no loss of image quality.You are able to watch your image being re-sized,both pics are side by side,and you will see that the new one has the same quality as the original.I use Elements 4.0,but I guess all Adobe progs have this function.
Hope this is of some assistance.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 03-03-07, 00:03

Well Christine that sounds really good,thanks a lot,I`ll give it a try
Old 03-03-07, 08:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by somert8 View Post
I would like to know the best way to re-size my pics for the gallery,I have cs2.

Please check the link I left for Polo on this thread, response # 8

-----LINK----

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 03-03-07, 09:34

I do it the same as Duncan inCS2. Resize and save as a jpeg quality 6. For some reason I have always had better pics doing it this way than the 'save for web' function.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 03-03-07, 11:26

Thanks for the reply guys,still fiddling!
Old 03-03-07, 17:23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy C View Post
I do it the same as Duncan inCS2. Resize and save as a jpeg quality 6. For some reason I have always had better pics doing it this way than the 'save for web' function.
If the image has lots of fine detail then save for web can be the best way of getting it to a reasonable file size. Save as jpeg will be 300 ppi, save for web is 200 ppi.

Don
Old 04-03-07, 08:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
If the image has lots of fine detail then save for web can be the best way of getting it to a reasonable file size. Save as jpeg will be 300 ppi, save for web is 200 ppi.

Don
Don, I never have problems getting a reasonable file size by saving as a quality 6 jpeg but perhaps this explains why the 'save for web' function never seems as good a quality.
Not quite sure what you mean by 300 ppi and 200 ppi (assume pixels per inch) I always use 72 ppi for the web so where does the 300 and 200 come in to it?

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM