WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

75 pence DIY Snoot

Old 30-12-07, 10:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
I'm not surprised at all that the straws are needed. Stephen, imagine the straws as acting like a series of singlemode optical fibers, without the straws it would be more like one large bit of multimode. The the light will bounce down the tube giving a wider dispersion as it leaves the end.
Duncan that makes a lot of sense but I am thinking multimode light would quickly diminish leaving only a singlemode beam if the length is beyond a critical dimension for this to occur. Critical length depends on diameter of tube and with a party straw this length is achieved as their length must be 40 times their diameter( approx 5mm dia and 200mm length). If the critical length ratio is 40:1 then my 80mm diameter snoot would need to be 3.2m to give the same result as one party straw.

Here is my photo using long 500mm snoot toward the label of champagne bottle. I recall it be very difficult to aim as the beam was direct.

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...hp?photo=11266
Old 30-12-07, 11:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canis Vulpes View Post
.......... I am thinking multimode light would quickly diminish leaving only a singlemode beam if the length is beyond a critical dimension for this to occur. Critical length depends on diameter of tube and with a party straw this length is achieved as their length must be 40 times their diameter( approx 5mm dia and 200mm length). If the critical length ratio is 40:1 then my 80mm diameter snoot would need to be 3.2m to give the same result as one party straw.
Educated under a flat top thorn tree on the plains of Africa, so that lot has gone right over my head.

Don
Old 30-12-07, 12:15

Singlemode fibre optics employs a single beam which transmits parallel to the fibre internally. i.e. direct light.

Multimode employs lots of different angles and light frequencies that bounce off the internal sides of the optical fibre i.e dispersed light. Multimode used thicker optical fibre cable.

At a certain length multimode operation should expire leaving only direct light and return to singlemode albeit reduced power.

The party straws no doubt will operate like lots of single mode fibres and allow for a shorter snoot.

Please find below diagram showing single and multimode fibres (its in french)

I'll get me some straws and do my own experiment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FO_Modes.jpg (38.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 30-12-07, 15:38

Lightbulb

Thanks for that. A bit worried when I read it was in French not Swahilli.
Makes sense now.

Don
Old 30-12-07, 18:20

Can you believe there were NO party straws at the supermarket this afternoon. Either that or my lady forgot

Still she has another two tubes of pringles for me to create the super snoot to test length and straws.
Old 30-12-07, 20:17

I have bought the pringles (just need to eat them now) and the straws, so just waiting for instructions on what sort of length to cut them

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 30-12-07, 20:50

Lello,

Try the straws full length first. I guess the Pringles tin being of larger diameter than my cardboard tube will project a larger beam for the same length of straw as in mine.

I had little choice over trimming mine as they are the ones that bend over at the end. So the trim point was just in front of the bendy bit.

Looks like you will beat Foxy to this one.

Don
Old 30-12-07, 22:28

The pringles have to be eaten first, and I'm the only one in the house that eats them, Might take a few days, Unless I put some in jiffy bags and distribute them among the WPF members

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 31-12-07, 07:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lello View Post
The pringles have to be eaten first, and I'm the only one in the house that eats them, Might take a few days....
Days!!!! To eat a tube of Pringles?

Anyone found silvered straws on sale? I've seen them in pubs and bars, but never in the shops. Might make a difference.
Old 31-12-07, 15:22

Thanks to Foxy's chart on light posted yesterday, I had a thought, and as I had failed on the zoom snoot front, although zooming can be achieved by moving the flash relative to subject. Decided to try a different tack.

I made a thin slice of metal with a 20mm hole so like a large washer. ( I know, but I do not have any black card to use instead ) This made the equivalent of the old fashioned Waterhouse Stop.

Placed over the front of the 5" length snoot with straws, the object was to see if I could reduce the size of the outputted light circle. It works and results in the attatched graphic.

Knowing Mark has made rectangular units, this principle would allow moving from rectangular through square to circular light pattern with different shaped cut cards.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Snoot cw stop composite.jpg (67.2 KB, 19 views)