WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Flash Photography Technique

Studio set up-advice needed

Old 04-10-08, 12:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
I went down the continuous route for photographing babies and kids under the age of ~5 Here I could be taking 100-150 shots in the space of 20-30 minutes or less to produce images like this

The thought of firing that many flashes in that short space of time might give kids stars before their eyes
I just love this set Clive. EXCELLENT .

Also a good reason for continuous as a lighting choice. My preference for flash came out of product photograhy so no concerns about 'stars in the eyes'.

Don
Old 04-10-08, 12:34

Once again my thanks. There is a lot to get my head around-as I'm sure others have had to do.

"Perhaps I need to do a couple of graphics but in the mean time have a look at this early thread on diffusion".
Don, that would be appreciated so as to read it along with the other threads.

In order to start the learning process do you think a good idea would be to start with umbrella and use the Canon 480 off the camera?
(I will rig up a back ground from black velvet/white cloth/white pvc)
If so can you recommend;-
a) which umbrella
b) which extension (or what are they called) from camera to flash unit
c) other basics
The reason for asking this is because of buying from Warehouse express I need to make sure I'm asking for the right things.
Old 04-10-08, 13:15

David,

I have been on the phone while you posted this.
I now have some stuff to do but will come back when I am done.

Don
Old 04-10-08, 13:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Smith View Post
In order to start the learning process do you think a good idea would be to start with umbrella and use the Canon 480 off the camera?
This will get the learning process going for general flash use, but really wouldn't be suitable for family/single portraits, guns like the 480 - or even much more powerful ones such as the Metz 58AF-1 (far better value than the Canon) - just don't have the ooomph for your application. A gun like this is a useful accessory to have for general purpose photography anyway, so it wouldn't be wasted, but for studio work, you'll need something more substantial.

Quote:
a) which umbrella
c) other basics
The reason for asking this is because of buying from Warehouse express I need to make sure I'm asking for the right things.
Have a look at http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/
the lighting and studio section links are at the bottom of the left hand side. For a room of your size, a 36" brolly is quite big enough. Don't be tempted to buy the 46" 'because it's only a few quid more", I fell into this trap and found a 46" is way too big in the space of a small room.

Here's some useful items covering items a) and b) on your list:
http://www.calumetphoto.co.uk/Lighti...rol/Umbrellas/

You will need a lighting stand, you can get away with a surplus tripod, but a dedicated light stand is cheaper, takes up less footprint in the room (very important in your case) and puts the light at the height you need it. I struggled by with a spare tripod for about 1 year until I sold that and bought a dedicated stand.

I do small table-top still life stuff, so only use bits of cloth/paper as backdrops, you'll need something more substantial but I'll leave it up to others to recommend those items as I have no direct experience.

Duncan
Old 04-10-08, 14:52

Quote:
.........In order to start the learning process do you think a good idea would be to start with umbrella and use the Canon 480 off the camera?
(I will rig up a back ground from black velvet/white cloth/white pvc)
a) which umbrella
c) other basics
If you have not tried off camera flash then it may be beneficial to have a go at a bit of still life for lighting practice. You do need to consider that if you end up buying a lighting kit these come with stands and brollys.

I will see if a standard rain umbrella lined with crumpled then flattened kitchen foil will work as a starter as cost is would be pennies. Just need to come up with some sort of DIY holder.

Duncan has answered the brolly/stand bit but I am struggling to find info on the Canon 480 flash and also triggering options.
URGENT NEED OF INPUT FROM CANON USERS.

Don

Last edited by Don Hoey; 04-10-08 at 15:12.
Old 05-10-08, 12:35

Default Whoops

WHOOPS
Sorry guys-the flash is a 550 EX!!
As I said-this was bought 2nd hand and has never been used so not been out of the box.
I have no idea where the 480 came from or how it got into my head-is there a smilie that says "thick"
I assume it's the same principle i.e. I'll need something "more sustantial"

I will start with the 36" umbrella (thanks for the pointer) as I'm sure it won't go to waste. I will try with the 550 flash-this should give me some indication of what I need.

Again-thanks for the advice-any more advice is more than welcome
Old 20-11-08, 16:36

Oopppsss.
Sorry David, just saw this thread.
Don't know at what stage of evolution you are in but seems your path is clear.

Few words about your flash 550EX. Though older cousin of professional flashes by two generations (Was made in 1998 followed by 580 that came out on 2004 and last, 580EX mkII 2007), is a monster flash and surly best value for the money.
One excellent choice.
It has a lot to offer once you get to know all the features. In fact a lot of billboards you have always seen and loved are made by this one. It has a lot of features and the newer versions though add more, take nothing off this ones fame and capabilities. The only problem is you definitely need more than one. Especially with their wireless E-TTL communication capabilities (Master and Slave switches are built in, you can have one set to master, attached to your camera body and have as many slaves as your need or may be as finance permits, then you can set each to one of the 4 channels so 4 adjacent photographers, or photoshooting setup in a room can coexist without affecting one another) you surely want to utilize their setup in group. Now with price of 550 at at least 1/2 (Or lesser) than 580, you can easily buy two (At least) or three to make your set up well.
If you need to see the differences between all 3 of them, check this
L I N K
but again you have all you need for studio or portable reliable professional quality flash, with the 550.

If you need of the camera flash, with all the auto functions preserved, then you need one of these Off-Camera Shoe Cord-2 or after market cords like this:
LINK
that with 40" length wire, should give you adequate flexibility in positioning.
If you don't like to have cord but like to pay more you can have a check on ST-E2. That is a transmitter attached to camera body, firing the 550s kept at slave mode. If you have may flashes, you can use one as master on camera but turn the firing to off, so it commands but doesn't contribute to the light on the subject from camera's angle.

Remember that Canon achieves the wirelessness by virtue of IR light not Radio frequency, possibly due to licensing problems and hassle they could otherwise face in various countries that they sell their products, if using Radio waves. So a line of sight in out door is needed. The reflective surface like walls in studio are more than enough to ensure communication between master and slave, even if line of direct sight is not available.

Possibilities are too many to tell here and you can read about them on the way as your needs demand.

Another good point about these series of pro Canon flashes, unlike Nikon's similar series that have restricted rotation to right and left, Canon's can be rotate about 90 degree on each side and more that 90 when tilted upwards. There was a very funny youtube clip in this regards, that I am not able to find it and should I get to it, will the link here to laugh.

You can use other flashes too. I believe the cheaper Sigma EF 500 DG has a very close compatibility to 5XX-Ex series of Canon flashes so may worth to have a look at that too.

Things gets a lot easier as you do the magic key thing: "Trial and Errors"

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN

Last edited by sassan; 20-11-08 at 16:49.
Old 10-12-08, 15:47

How serious do you intend to be?

I would not advise spending too much money on speedlites which are far from ideal for your usage, and will give you as many problems as they solve. They are also not that much cheaper than a budget studio head.

Either way you will not have ttl control so you will need a light meter too. I'd advise you to get a 2 head budget flash kit. Take a look on ebay, there are loads of kits available, but only buy from sellers with a good feedback rating.
Old 18-02-09, 09:29

Saw this one and thought of you Dav.
I afraid it doesn't end up fully free but at least it is a good start to principles.

- - - L I N K - - -

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 18-02-09, 11:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
Saw this one and thought of you Dav.
I afraid it doesn't end up fully free but at least it is a good start to principles.

- - - L I N K - - -
That is an excellent video. His take on the soft box is very enlightening (no pun intended)-particularly when he explains exactly how it works and why it needs to be close to the subject. Also why power is not so important-the exact opposite of some thinking.
Thank you