WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Cameras

Cameras Discussion on Cameras of all types

Dirt On sensor

Old 26-08-06, 19:02
Super Moderator

Default Dirt On sensor

Just thought I would post this. I took the photo with the wrong f-stop. F20. and was surprised at the amount of dirt that is on the sensor considering this is a new camera and I haven't removed the lens yet from when I first put it on. You can't see any spots on normal exposed photo's except possibly one. It doesn't phase me as I will give it a clean. But should a camera be coming from the factory with this amount of dirt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dirt.jpg (175.6 KB, 39 views)
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 26-08-06, 19:18

I have read elsewhere that Canon 20D and 30D's are not assembled in a cleanroom environment. A simple clean with a digipad and some eclipse fluid should do the trick.
Old 26-08-06, 19:23
Super Moderator

Its a shame they allow them out of the factory in this condition, it would put most people off. I don't like using the wet method to clean I use the sensor brush and blower. The dirt isn't causing any problem on normally exposed images so may leave it for the moment.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 26-08-06, 19:35

Christine, every Canon DSLR I've owned (4 of them) has come with a host of factory-installed crap on the sensor. You're much better off removing it yourself because by all accounts the Canon service centre is just as good at returning dirty sensors as their manufacturing plants.

Looking at your photo you've got away quite lightly.
Old 26-08-06, 19:42

Don't totally blame Canon yet. Have you checked the front element of your lens yet? At f20 it is often the case that dust is picked up on your pics. I took some yesterday at f22 by accident really, and the dust marks are obtrusive, yet on the same shoot at f11 and thereabouts there is little sign of dust marks.
Old 26-08-06, 20:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Don't totally blame Canon yet. Have you checked the front element of your lens yet? At f20 it is often the case that dust is picked up on your pics. I took some yesterday at f22 by accident really, and the dust marks are obtrusive, yet on the same shoot at f11 and thereabouts there is little sign of dust marks.
Thank you so much Stephen for that. I too had noticed much of the dust spots on my photographs actually are from the front element of the lens. Whenever I explain this to people they laugh just like when Nicolaus Copernicus explained the Earth was round and revolved around the Sun!
Old 26-08-06, 20:33
Super Moderator

Thanks Stephen its an area I hadn't thought about.
I have checked the front element of the lens and it looks clean but will check again during daylight, I will clean everything tomorrow and see if things clear up.
I would think even if you can't see them under normal conditions they could cause softness in an image.