WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Lenses

Lenses Discussion of Lenses

Looking for something to fit the D5000

Old 21-01-10, 15:42

Default Looking for something to fit the D5000

Am looking for some lenses to fit the nikon D5000 i do not realy want to spend very much as i will be going back to canon as soon as i can, but any advice would be appreciated.
I like to photograph animals and some seascape and water life.

Gaz
Old 21-01-10, 16:06
Super Moderator

If you're planning to change system then it would be a good plan to buy a secondhand lens as you'll loose less money on it when you sell up. Unfortunately any long lens (whichyou'd want for wildlife) won't come cheap... why are you intending to switch to Canon? If you're going to do it it woudl make sense to do so before splashing out on lenses for your Nikon.
Old 21-01-10, 17:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by postcardcv View Post
intending to switch to Canon? If you're going to do it it would make sense to do so before splashing out on lenses for your Nikon.
Couldn't agree more. It seems daft to spend anything on a system you intend changing as soon as you can.
Old 21-01-10, 22:38

Hi and thanks for the replies, I will be keeping the nikon for use in my angling exploits when i get the next canon so the lenses won't go to waste, sorry if i did not make my post clear enough but that is why i am trying to get the cheapest i can as over time the salt see's them off.
Old 22-01-10, 02:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaz View Post
Hi and thanks for the replies, I will be keeping the nikon for use in my angling exploits when i get the next canon so the lenses won't go to waste, sorry if i did not make my post clear enough but that is why i am trying to get the cheapest i can as over time the salt see's them off.
Doesn't make sense to me, why buy into Canon when you've already got Nikon gear, why not buy the lens you want now and then upgrade to a better Nikon body later instead of a Canon. Then you've got 2 Nikons that can share lenses and other accessories, they're just as good if not better than Canon anyway!

nirofo.
Old 22-01-10, 07:40

Now that one i can explain easy lol.

As in another post made on here about some cameras over complicating issues, I am very new to photography and realy have not got a clue yet but I started with a sony a200 and a second hand canon rebel xti which came with some lenses
I got on realy well with the canon and liked using it but sadly dropped it on bonfire night whilst taking pictures, anyhow with the salesmans words and the medias hype swayed me towards the nikon d5000 but to be honest i do not like it at all as i find the controls daunting compared to the canons "might just be me but the canon was easy to set and use" so am going to start using the nikon for my salt water fishing antics and get another canon for my if you like "going out camera".
That may change a little once i have met a member off here who has offered to give me a hand as he might show me easy ways with the nikon, but either way am looking for some advice on cheap lenses for the nikon.
Old 22-01-10, 07:42
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirofo View Post
.... Nikons ..... they're just as good if not better than Canon anyway!
Contentious stuff
Old 22-01-10, 20:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gidders View Post
Contentious stuff
Not really!

nirofo.
Old 22-01-10, 20:37

If you're new to photography, you need to ask yourself if you want to expand it as a hobby. If you don't, it's not much use buying an SLR, you'd be better off with a cheaper bridge camera with similar capabilities.
Old 23-01-10, 20:29

Wants to swap from Nikon to Canon and people question it? Just seems obvious to me, Nikon as a throw away camera and Canon for a good one! Seriously whatever you use for shooting in the salty conditions, both camera and lens, is going to die unless they are professional grade so buy cheap. A "super zoom" would probably fit the bill as there are plenty of second hand ones around and it would mean you could take a variety of shots without changing lenses. Do the old trick of popping the camera and lens in a plastic bag with a hole cut out for the end of the lens and secure with an elastic band.