WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Question

Old 07-04-06, 20:31

Default Question

Hi everyone, I'm new not only to his forum , but to photography as well. First of many questions. I have seen that shooting pictures in RAW can produce clearer results. I have Adobe 7.0 Photoshop, I can't seem to find any info on manipulating pictures taken in the RAW format. Do I need yet another editing program?

Thanks in Advance,

Frank Peeters
www.decoysbyfrank.com
Old 07-04-06, 21:32
Super Moderator

Frank if I remember right you can't manipulate raw images directly in PS7 you have to convert them first with a raw a converter. I think you said you have a Nikon d50 in which case you would do the conversion first to either jpg or tiff in Nikon capture. Hopfully someone can come along soon and give you more information.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 07-04-06, 22:12

I think you are right Christine. You need PS8 (CS) or PS9 (CS2) to convert RAW in Photoshop.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 07-04-06, 22:29

Default Replies

Thanks for the relpies, Is this CS2 a software program that works with PS7? Or will I be doing a lot of copying and pasting from program to program?

I beginning to miss the days of using my Kodak Brownie, crossing my fingers, and letting the drugstore develop the film.

Many more questions to come. Haven't even started on how to set up the camera (D50) and what all the settings mean/do.

Frank
Old 07-04-06, 22:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Peeters
Hi everyone, I'm new not only to his forum , but to photography as well. First of many questions. I have seen that shooting pictures in RAW can produce clearer results. I have Adobe 7.0 Photoshop, I can't seem to find any info on manipulating pictures taken in the RAW format. Do I need yet another editing program?

Thanks in Advance,

Frank Peeters
www.decoysbyfrank.com
Hi Frank and welcome,

As you have a D50 your best option is to try Nikons own converter Nikon Capture. You can download a 30 day trial from Nikon USA link here
http://support.nikontech.com/cgi-bin...&p_page_foot=1

Item on line 7 or 8 depending on your operating system.

[ Quote I'm new to photography and have a ton of questions, hope your a patient group. To start I just purchased a Nikon D50 with two lenses 17 to 55mm and 70 to 300 mm. I also bought a Sigma 50 to500mm telephoto lens and a 2x doubler (?). ]

In these circumstances I feel your best bet is to shoot in JPG Fine until you get used to the camera and your image editing software. Processing of RAW images adds another step in the learning curve, and at this stage I would concentrate on learning what you can get out of the camera first.

You will find Members here will be very helpful so post as many questions as you like.

Don
Old 07-04-06, 22:37

Quote:
Thanks for the relpies, Is this CS2 a software program that works with PS7? Or will I be doing a lot of copying and pasting from program to program?

I beginning to miss the days of using my Kodak Brownie, crossing my fingers, and letting the drugstore develop the film.

Many more questions to come. Haven't even started on how to set up the camera (D50) and what all the settings mean/do.

Frank
Frank, it sounds to me as though you are going too fast. At this stage in your learning curve I would forget Raw and concentrate on just using the camera. You have a pretty sophisticated piece of kit there and if you have little or no background in photography then you need to get some of the basics sorted first. The same goes for the software, photoshop is not an easy program to get to grips with and you may be better using something a little more user friendly to begin with.
Old 07-04-06, 22:46

Quote:

Frank
Frank I see we crossed in the post.

As I mentioned in my previous post for now I would use JPG Fine. I have only just started using RAW after 4 years, and I am finding it a steep learning curve and I know how my camera works.

There is a thread discussing the issue of RAW & JPG and in camera processing here http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...read.php?t=662

How big can you print a 6mp JPG link here see post 73 http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...9&d=1142424050

Don
Old 07-04-06, 23:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey

How big can you print a 6mp JPG link here see post 73 http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...9&d=1142424050

Don
Don't confuse the man Don That link is to the picture only btw and you will have Frank thinking his camera files will do that sort of thing
Old 07-04-06, 23:11

Thank You, even though I'm in a wheelchair I always want to run before I walk. Getting to know my camera first, and then worry about fine tuning what I have learned makes sense. Good Advice .....Thanks.

Frank
Old 07-04-06, 23:17

Well unlike Stephen and Don, I jumped in at the deep end and started using Raw when I bought the Minolta D7 Autumn 2001. Although previous to that I had processed all my own B&W and colour for the past 40 years.

I'm not suggesting that you should also jump in at the deep end especially as you are new to photography

So to answer your question CS2 is actually the latest version of Photoshop and has it's own raw convertor.

However all is not lost as you can download Pixmantecs "Rawshooter" which comes in two varieties "Essentials" which is freeware and is very good, or the "Premium" version. http://www.pixmantec.com/. Both versions will automatically open converted images directly into photoshop if you so require.

No doubt there will be a steep learning curve ahead of you just learning how to use the D50, but just in case you're a glutton for punishment, have a read here http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tut...ile-format.htm

Harry