WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Flash Umbrellas

Old 24-12-07, 12:19

Default Flash Umbrellas

I may decide to buy an umbrella to go with my flashgun. Can someone please explain to me what the differences are between the various types?

I can see there are items described as "Silver", "Silver/White", "With removable black cover", "Dual duty" (in both black/white and black/silver/white), "Shoot through"........ etc, etc............

What are the differences please? Any recommendations?

Regards,

Duncan
Old 24-12-07, 12:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
..........What are the differences please? Any recommendations?

Regards,

Duncan
Duncan,

I need to check out what is on the market now so my answer will make sense. All of my stuff is from the early 90's.

Foxy has up to date kit in that dept.

Don
Old 24-12-07, 12:59

I have a Bowens BW4036 Silver / White 36" Umbrella, two infact. Not that I am an expert but can comment only on my kit. The Umbrella has a removable outer skin which is silver reflective and a white fixed inner. Most shots I do these days use the silver outer on. If the silver outer is removed it allows shoot through where flash is the opposite side of umbrella to literally shoot through resulting is a nice diffused light. The former mode using silver outer on still gives a diffused light but is less costly for light loss. Most of traditional (as I call) mode ends up on your subject whereas shoot through some light is reflected back and thus lost.

I'll dig out an illustration in the flash board so you can see what I mean.
Old 24-12-07, 13:08

Here we are.....

http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...?t=1852&page=2

Take a look at photos in post 13. Shows my umbrella with outer on then off (shoot through) then I attach the outer the wrong way around to create a sort of softbox to catch lost light and bounce it back toward the subject.

I recommend an umbrella over a Lastolite as the Lastolite is more expensive and I use umbrella much more, except for shots where a catch light in important.

Don't forget a stand although an unwanted wibbley wobbley tripod will suffice and angle-able flash bracket, mine were from Calumet and don't have part numbers.
Old 24-12-07, 13:28

Aha! I see. That looks like it can cover a wide variety of situations.

"..an unwanted wibbley wobbley tripod will suffice.."
Yup, got one of those.

Had figured I'd need a bracket. It was looking at all the stuff on Calumet that got me confused.

Thanks for the help. I'll wait until after Christmas to see if prices come down.

Regards,

Duncan
Old 24-12-07, 13:34

As Foxy says there are basically the two types (with variations) - shoot through and reflective.

The shoot through gives a very soft light not much different to a softbox, giving nice even shadows.
The reflective umbrella has the flash head unit turned into the centre of the brolly and the light is then 'bounced' out. This gives a much harsher light with more contrast.

Just bought a full set up myself, so will be on the steep learning curve... Take a look at the Warehouse Express site, I bought the Elinchrom D-Lites and I'm very impressed with the quality and ease of use/setup.

My New Website

Last edited by Derekb; 24-12-07 at 13:37.
Old 24-12-07, 13:39

The wibbley wobbley tripod is fine but I prefer a light weight flash stand as a tripod with its leg diameter can get in the way. A stand can be put closer to your subject to get more light on it and therefore use lower ISO settings especially macro shots at very small apertures.

Start off with the tripod but I bet you get a stand in due course.
Old 24-12-07, 14:23

Back from a munch and a trip into the loft for a Lastolite brochure to get up to date and the thread has been busy.

Foxys brolley is the best option for general subjects.

Silver brolleys give a harder light so good for engineering type of subject, I will look in my gallery to see if I have posted an example.

Gold is generally the preserve of portrait photogs as it gives nice addition to skin tones.

Shoot through, although softer looses a lot of light, and is not so controllable. I will do a diagram. You also have to be aware that on reflective surfaces the brolley arms will show up.

Don
Old 24-12-07, 14:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekb View Post
Just bought a full set up myself, so will be on the steep learning curve... Take a look at the Warehouse Express site, I bought the Elinchrom D-Lites and I'm very impressed with the quality and ease of use/setup.
Derek,

I'll be interested to see how you get on with the D light. I have fried my Multiblitz, and depending how I get on it may be terminal, so possible decisions to be made.

Loads of stuff in the flash forum to help you on your learing curve.

Don
Old 24-12-07, 15:04

Thanks Don, I'm trawling through the Flash threads now, some good stuff in there!!

My New Website