WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Nikon Capture NX available for download

Old 07-07-06, 09:40

Default Nikon Capture NX available for download

Here is the link. A 200MB download currently in progress in my machine but will not be able to trial until later.

http://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/c...&languageId=22
Old 07-07-06, 21:00

I think Nikons server is having a hard time. In 1 hour I have downloaded the 2 manuals and Capture Camera control. Total 32.072mb.

I think I will do NX first thing in the morning as that is 200mb. Lets hope everyone is having a Saturday morning lie-in.

Don
Old 07-07-06, 21:19

It is much difficult to find things but after 30 minutes thing began to gel. NR seems better and the whole things runs about 50% faster on my machine. I am not sure quality is the same but this may be due to different sharpening and NR algorithms applied to the RAW image, implementing in camera settings a different way. Control points are interesting but not the core of operation as we were led to believe.

Initial likes:-

Control points
NR
slight improvement in speed

Initial dislikes:-

No 4 stop graduation on histogram.
No progress bar when converting and opening in PS CS2
Dull grey GUI

I am glad for the 30 day trial as it may take 30 days to decide whether its worth the £120 price.
Old 09-07-06, 09:12

The interface is a definite improvement on Nikon Capture. The browser is long overdue. Speed seems faster, and noise reduction is much faster though it is still not fast.

There are serious bugs/failings, and to my eyes this is a beta. For example, I have to change my taskbar settings in order for the program to be useable, otherwise dialogs are partially obscured. The curves display is far too small to be useable. That is very serious and means that Photoshop is still in business. They have fixed an irritating aspect of NC, namely saving a file to the last saved to folder, rather than the current file's folder. Control points are intriguing though 10 minutes playing has not convinced me that they are useful for the pictures I take.

Incidentally, thus far NC and NX are co-existing happily, contrary to Nikon's warnings that the fabric of space and time will collapse if you install both on the same platform.

I'm far from convinced that it is worth upgrading and I am not happy that they want to charge me ~£80 (or whatever) to upgrade when my copy of NC is only 18 months old.

Leif
Old 24-07-06, 12:31

I understand by the end of July Capture NX trial users will be able to purchase a licence key from Nikon dealers. I have no information on pricing or discount for existing Nikon Capture 4 licence holders.