WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Focus screens for MF lenses on Nikon D bodies

Old 02-01-08, 17:45

Joe,

Still to check out the F6 as I have been busy taking a couple of snaps of D2X screen relative to a full frame F3 screen.

I will get onto the F6 issue next and that may take some time but its still my favourite.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Focussing screens.jpg (55.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 02-01-08, 17:57

Thanks Don,
I see what you mean! and understand why you asked if anything was shaved off the FM fit K screen to fit in the D1...wow, the D2 screen is totally different dimensions....probably the same thickness tho.
Yeah, I remember the F2/F3 screens. Drop loading them into the camera after taking the prism off. I do miss that simplicity I had with my F3...which I had a nice bright U type screen on for my 300mm tele lens, and a DA-2 action finder which was a supperb peice of kit...made the viewfinder look like a small tv screen!

Yes, the D1/ D1h screens look like the D2 type but have the full frame dimensions as you said.

cheers
Joe
Old 02-01-08, 19:42

Hi again - sorry about earlier confusion - but is this any help? I comes from the Nikond1 website:

D1 Major Features

* 2.74-megapixel, 23.7 x 15.6mm-size CCD for ultrahigh-definition (2,012 x 1,324 effective pixels) images
* Ultra-thin lithium niobate (LiNB) Low-Pass Filter (also cuts infrared rays) incorporated just in front of CCD etc.

* Interchangeable focusing screen (compatible with focusing screen for F100)

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 02-01-08, 20:20

Ooooh thanks very much Andy!
yes, certainly clears up confusion!

Old 02-01-08, 20:27

Just had a search, and confirms what Don said earlier in the thread...there's only the plain type available for the F100...no split screens
Old 02-01-08, 20:51

Joe,

Andy is correct re F100. Been up in the loft for a rummage also looking through old price lists for part numbers.
Then we find the snag, as you mention, - only two screens were made available for the F100.

B type Part no. FAC13001
E type Part no. FAC13101

All getting a bit of a struggle as I followed the FM2 screen and find on the FM3 it has different part numbers unless it is brighter.

I have found a brochure showing the layout of the various types of screens and will take a pic and post tomorrow.

By the way 2002 Nikon price list 2002 lists D1H body at £3199:99. Thought you'd like that.

D1X and why non of us could ever afford that - £3999:99.

Don
Old 02-01-08, 21:51

Quote:
By the way 2002 Nikon price list 2002 lists D1H body at £3199:99. Thought you'd like that.

D1X and why non of us could ever afford that - £3999:99.
LOL, old prices are rather amusing when i haven't paid them,
Thanks Don,
Give it half a dozen years and I'll be ready to buy my D2h, D2xs or even D3 at a few hundred quid too! lol
The D1h in mint condition cost me £250 ...that's including £40 import duty I had to pay for delivery from USA
The D1 (which looks more like the cameras I'm use to......very very battered)...cost me £50 all in

S/H D1h and D1x cameras I have seen vary in price wildly, usually go from anywhere between £200 to £900, depending on condition and who's selling them (private or retailer). I did well getting such a good one for not much money (they seem to fetch more S/H here in the UK for some reason ?)

Yes, RE the FM/FM2 vs FM3 screens I found a web search confirmed they are the same fitting, FM3 screens are just a bit brighter I am led to believe

Now I wondering whether F801/8008 are the same or similar to F90x (ie wrong size for D1). The later I think is the same situation as the F100 ie only in plain versions not split/micro prism ones, but I'm wondering if the F801/8008 are usable.......

Then there's the small matter of the F501..of which different variants for MF or AF were done, or so I've read....ouch..my head hurts!!!!

F6 looks the likely hunting ground for screens

Andy, Don, Thanks alot for your help so far guys

Last edited by Joe; 03-01-08 at 11:13.
Old 03-01-08, 14:30

Joe,

As promised pics of the various screens.

Note that although mention of the F801 is missing from the main brochure, the two screens for that camera look like the F90X screens.

Re the F6 screens. I have not yet found reference to dimensions.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nikon-brochure-2002.jpg (177.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg F6 screens.jpg (162.6 KB, 4 views)
Old 03-01-08, 15:30
Chris

totally lost on what this thread is really about, but have an F65 body surplus to requirements (not fully op, free ex for post) if anyone wants to cannibalise for whatever purpose
Old 03-01-08, 20:57

Hi chris,
Sorry if it is not easy to follow.

Basically to summerise what this thread is about;-

I have and use Nikon D1 and D1h camera bodies.

As with all Auto focus bodies, the focusing screens in them have the AF zone markings but do not have any focusing aids like micro prism or split screen, as with the older manual focus bodies.

I have and want to get the best out of my manual focus lenses. I know I can use the electronic green light to signify focus is achieved, but I would prefer using those screen focus aids

In order to aid the use of manual focus lenses, some A/F camera bodies have the option to fit different focusing screens..WITH those focusing aids.

Unfortunately the D1/D1h/D1x officially has a few different screens available, but none have the focus aids I need.

Therefore, I have a modified screen from a Nikon FM in my D1h, but is not ideal fit.

Ideally I would like ones that fit perfectly.

Some aftermarket companies custom make these, at cost.....

However, I would like to find if another camera with interchangeable screens has a screen that has the focus aids ANd fits the D1 series cameras.
That's what this thread is about

chris, thanks for the offer of the F65, that's most generous of you. Unfortunately I think the screen in the camera is one which is a standard AF camera one...ie doesn't have those MF aids I'm after....

thanks again Chris. Your offer is most appreciated, and hasn't gone unnoticed.

Don,
thanks for your continued help and info

Last edited by Joe; 03-01-08 at 21:01.