WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Silica gel

Old 01-04-06, 10:39

Default Silica gel

I want to avoid fungus in lenses and keeping a small sachet of silica gel with each lens seems to be the solution. I have found two small sachets (yippee) and one large one (as big as my hand) that contains colour indicating gel. Does anyone have any ideas how I can make small sachets from the big one? The big one is in some sort of fibre material so maybe I can divide it and use heat to reseal? Or is there some suitable material? Please note that needlework is beyond me. I'd rather pay for some from Jessops.

Leif
Old 02-04-06, 19:05

I know that 7 day shop do multi-bags of silica gel very cheap.
Old 03-04-06, 07:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft
I know that 7 day shop do multi-bags of silica gel very cheap.
They do, but the P&P doubles the cost. And the stuff I have is self indicating, which tells me when it need drying.

Leif
Old 04-04-06, 01:02

If you know someone who works in a welding or fabrication workshop, ask them if they can let you have or purchase the large Silica Gel bags that are packed in with welding rods, they are normally just dumped. When you get them, stick them in an oven for a few minutes on a low heat, this is to dry them out before you use them. make sure you don't overheat them! You can make small bags from some thin, clean linen type cloth material, or use sections cut from a nylon stocking and tied with thread.

nirofo.

Last edited by nirofo; 04-04-06 at 01:08.
Old 21-04-06, 17:16

I found another source yesterday. I'm currently doing work for a Japanese company and they regularly get Japanese rice crackers left on the table for general consumption. Very nice too. (Better than the foul Kim Chee chocolate from a Korean customer.) Anyway the crackers come in nice boxes with silica gel sachets. I suspect that buying Japanese rice crackers to obtain silica gel would be cheaper than Jessops sachets (£5 for 2) and you get some snacks.

Leif
Old 21-04-06, 18:13

Try the Camping shops, I use the re usable ones in my camper van and I just put them in the microwave oven to dry them out.