WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Equipment > Photographic Accessories

Photographic Accessories Discussion on other Photography related Equipment. Tripods, Luggage and suchlike.

Cheap Extension Tubes

Old 26-03-10, 20:23

Default Cheap Extension Tubes

Good evening,

I have been monitoring eBay for a set of extension tubes, hopefully a set of Kenko AF tubes at a good price. There are some 'Jessops' AF tubes now and then which would probably be okay for me.

Meanwhile it has not escaped my attention that there are some amazingly cheap extension tubes going on ebay that look to be no more than aluminum tubes with Canon mounts. They can go for about a fiver plus postage. They do not autofocus though but that is possibly no great loss for the price. They are on Amazon too for about £8.

Has anyone got anything to say on these cheap tubes or any experience to share?

Cheers,
Andrew.
Old 26-03-10, 20:43
Super Moderator

I think that these cheap tubes don't have any contact so not only will you not get AF but you will also be unabe to adjust the aperture so you'll be stuck shooting wide open all the time. Given that eth tubes reduce MFD the DOF wide open can get very shallow indeed.
Old 26-03-10, 20:47

I've not tried them, but have a look here http://www.linkdelight.com/index.php...recurrency=GBP.

I've bought a number of items from this company, good quality and recieved within one week
Old 26-03-10, 20:56

Thanks Postie and Wolfie. That's the cheap tubes out the window now then!

As for the 'Jessops' tubes, they are exactly what you (Wolfie) refer to. I think these are pretty much the same if not exactly the same thing. I have seen these on offer at a good price. Do they allow good AF and aperture control and are they metal?

Regards,
Andrew.
Old 26-03-10, 20:59

Just been browsing that link Wolfie and some good deals on there including the bellows.

Regards,
Andrew.
Old 26-03-10, 21:14

UPDATE : I decided to act quickly and I now have a set of the 'Jessops' tubes recommended by Wolfie thanks to eBay for £35ish.

Thanks again for the advice and replies. Less than an hour between asking for advice and getting help in making a decision to buy with confidence. An effective forum!

Andrew.