WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

a little info please

Old 04-07-07, 12:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Although the range of lenses for the Pentax may not be as wide as for Canon or Nikon this camera is compatable with Pentax KAF2, KAF, KA mount lenses. Although some functions may be limited with the KA range
You've missed a few out Don, it's also directly compatible with manual aperture KM lenses, and with an adaptor, the very old M42 lenses. With a different adaptor you can even use Pentax 645 medium format lenses. All with manual metering available. The only limitations with lenses that don't have an auto aperture setting is that the metering is set to centre weighted, no spot or matrix metering is available.

If you use the lenses you originally listed, there are no restrictions on metering/modes at all. AF won't work on the KA, but it's not an AF lens fit so that shouldn't come as any great shock.

In short, you can use any Pentax lens ever made, with at least some form of light metering. The K10D has the same lens compatibility as the K100D, this is an example of a picture taken using a fully manual KM lens (thanks Chris )
http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...=500&ppuser=34

Duncan
Old 04-07-07, 13:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelvertoft View Post
You've missed a few out Don,

Duncan
Duncan,

I knew my post would bring forth yours. Its just that I am not so familiar with the current Pentax system. My last Pentax being the Spotmatic. I feel it worth saying for those that are unaware, that although Nikon and Canon are currently the big two in the DSLR world, Pentax has a history of innovation and has been making high quality cameras and lenses going back to the 1950's so is NOT a brand to be dismissed.

More rain on the way so I think I will track back for the Pentax firsts as there have been quite a few.

Don
Old 05-07-07, 11:33

First of all decide your budget - it is really easy to get carried away buying this stuff. Second - secondhand kit is often worth considering, especially if from a shop offering some kind of warranty.
As regards lenses, focal lengths of 28-200mm (35mm equivalent) will cover most situations for general photography - certainly well enough to get you started. 'Third party' lenses ie not companies that make bodies eg canon/nikon, as perfectly adequate and a lot cheaper than canon/nikon as well.
Lastly dont write off film - there are some very cheap (<£100) entry level film slrs around. The drawbacks of film are cost of developing, and a slightly slower learning curve as you dont get that instant feedback that digital can give. (And you would need a scanner to digitise your shots for computer/internet use). Drawbacks for digital are peripheral costs - computer, imaging software, photoprinter etc. It soon adds up to a lot of cash. Then of course there's the amount of time you spend in front of a monitor fiddling with your shots...
Most importantly, get your hands on the camera before buying it - control layout, size, weight etc all make a big difference to how suitable a body is, and that is an entirely individual choice.