WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

Manual macro on the cheap.

Old 02-06-07, 19:29

Bluebottle - not a pretty sight.

This was pure chance and spotted on my first try at hoverflys in flight. Standard 105mm lens and 100mm of extension. Full flash.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Blue-bottle.jpg (143.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 02-06-07, 21:47

I disagree, that is pretty. In a spooky horror movie kind of way.
Old 04-06-07, 20:31

Some of you might be interested in this software:

http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html

It allows you to combine multiple images of the same subject, each with a different plane of focus, to create one image with enhanced depth of field. I am sorely tempted, and if I get some suitable images, I will give it a try.

Also, how do people get precise focus on these small insects? I tried with a macro lens and tubes at the weekend and it was extremely hard. A focus rail really is needed.
Old 04-06-07, 20:57
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link Leif, I have just been out taking more. LOL!. I am addicted. I do wish I had a proper macro though.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 04-06-07, 20:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leif View Post
Also, how do people get precise focus on these small insects? I tried with a macro lens and tubes at the weekend and it was extremely hard. A focus rail really is needed.
Leif,

I have not yet managed to find anything I could get a tripod mounted camera to before its gone. I have used either nothing or a monopod, relying on flash to freeze any camera movement. Lens to subject distance is very short, about 1 1/2", so finding the subject is pretty tricky, as due to the shallow dof its invisible in the viewfinder even if you are lined up on it, at anything over 2 1/2".

You are right in saying that for a tripod job then a focusing rail is essential. Use of bellows can be a great help as you can focus with them over a short distance ( probably 1/2" ). Mine are a cheapo Panagor set from years ago ( never could afford the Nikon ones ).

If I come across something that is not likely to move during the action, I will put it on my milling table as that has micro control, and take a seies of pics to try out
' Heliconsoft '.

Don
Old 04-06-07, 20:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Thanks for the link Leif, I have just been out taking more. LOL!. I am addicted. I do wish I had a proper macro though.
Tee hee

Don
Old 04-06-07, 21:23
Super Moderator

Here it is. This was with my 75-300mm +31mm +13mm exif is included. Hand held about 4ft away.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hoverflymacro.jpg (164.8 KB, 10 views)
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 04-06-07, 21:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
I have used either nothing or a monopod, relying on flash to freeze any camera movement. Lens to subject distance is very short, about 1 1/2", so finding the subject is pretty tricky, as due to the shallow dof its invisible in the viewfinder even if you are lined up on it, at anything over 2 1/2".
I was afraid that you were using flash. Yet more expense ...

I'm sure someone has mentioned this, but I tried a reversed 28mm lens on my D200, and adding extension tubes significantly increased the magnification. Sadly my Triplus tubes are rather poor quality. (I think they are the same as Kenko.) I once had Nikon tubes and stupidly sold them.
Old 04-06-07, 22:27

Christine,

You have me there ....................... BRILLIANT !!!!!!!!!!!

I doubt that I will ever equal that.

I just looked at Exif : 1/319 sec at f5.6, ISO 100. Was this using the home made ringflash, pop-up, or seperate flash ?

.................................................. .................................................. ......................................

Leif,

If you are able to reverse a 28mm then forget the tubes and just use that. All you now require is a diffusion panel taped above the lens and you can use the D200 pop-up. It will be good for around f16 at ISO200/400. That would get you something like the Bluebottle, but not a flight shot as I have struggled with that and less magnification.

As you have a 200 macro, I will see what can be done with D100 using the pop-up and my 200 f4 with tubes. I will not be able to get your IQ though.

Do not be too concerned about your Triplus tubes v the Nikon ones. I started out using cut down toilet rolls years ago when I struggled with the cost of film and processing, never mind buying kit.

I might even try reversed 50mm on a tc to see what I get.

Don
Old 04-06-07, 22:49
Super Moderator

Don, I didn't use flash at all it is just lit with the sunlight, it was underexposed by about 2 stops so had to bring it out. The hoverfly was about a foot above an empty planter just soil as background, I was pointing downwards when I took the shot.