WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > News & Views from the World of Photography

News & Views from the World of Photography Discussion on the Latest News in the World of Photography

Wildlife Photographer of the year

Old 31-10-08, 21:51

Default Wildlife Photographer of the year

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...eaphoto130.xml

A fabulous photo of the snow leopard, but it doesn't quite seem right that he wins the title, when all the cameras where remote controlled.

Camping out on a mountainside in Hemis High Altitude National Park in northern India he used 14 remote-controlled cameras as part of his quest to find the secretive snow leopard.

Harry
Old 01-11-08, 07:26

Provided that he did all the work (choosing the cameras, setting them up and deciding where to set them, checking them and so on), I think that it is OK.
Superb photo.
Old 22-11-08, 22:33

To suggest he maybe shouldn't have won because his cameras were remotely controlled is a truely obsurd thing to suggest?!
The pure dedication, and effort involved to get his winning image deserves all the praise it gets.
Outstanding
Old 23-11-08, 11:04

I hope to visit the exhibition, so will get to see it close up. However I agree with Joe, it is not just about the photograph, but the effort involved in capturing it. The best landscape photographers return to the same location time and time again (something I myself am beginning to do) to try to capture that perfect light and moment. It is hard work, because a moment is all you have...

Who would be a judge eh? It must be so difficult and I can appreciate the effort involved in this aspect of the competition. On a personal level again I am seeing it for myself, with both good and bad judges on the circuit. The good ones stand out though, clearly defining what makes a winning image. I recently came second in a competition where I had put what I thought to be my best ever images. After the competition I approached the judge to thank him and tell him his choices were spot on and I then congratulated the winner. However I went away from the competition knowing what I have to do to win it next year...

My New Website
Old 24-11-08, 14:37

For those who may not have seen, here's a direct link to the winning photograph......
http://www.bjp-online.com/public/sho...ml?page=825735
Old 27-11-08, 22:29

Thanks for posting the link Joe. TBH I found the photograph slightly disappointing after the build up. I wonder whether the effort required to get the shot or the rareness of sighting helped chose the winning photograph.