WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > WPF Photo Competitions Forum

WPF Photo Competitions Forum All the details for the monthly WPF Photo Competitions

Reverting to monthly? - VOTE FOR THE NEW COMPETITION FORMAT

Register to see Poll

There is a poll attached to this thread. You must be a fully registered member to be able to view or vote in this poll.

Old 03-08-09, 10:29

Default Reverting to monthly? - VOTE FOR THE NEW COMPETITION FORMAT

Suggestion..what about reverting to a monthly comp run on the same principle; ie winner chooses next topic?
Al.
Old 03-08-09, 18:42

Hi there Al and any others who read this. I think something has to happen to revive and encourage entries into our competitions, but I'm at a loss to know what. Is this a seasonal thing? ie: many on holiday or away so unable to enter? I know this weekend was very busy for me so I was unable to enter. PERHAPS a Three Week Competition might solve that, and I would agree Al that it should have similar rules to the weekly we run now. Photos taken between say 1st and 21st of the month, week for voting, winner picks next subject. This would keep each competition within a month and give time to enter for those with busy lives and a breather for those months which are more than 28 days long. Member poll to decide winner and all winners displayed in Winners Gallery. Each January perhaps a members Poll on the 12 Winners to decide Photo of the Year. Perhaps a Certificate for monthly Winners (it could be sent by email for the member to print off) and a Plaque for WPF Photographer of the Year could be arranged?

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 03-08-09, 22:28

yup back to monthly,
Old 03-08-09, 22:43

I agree that a longer period between comps. should be tried.

Also the rule that demanded that photographs 'must be taken during that weekend' was very limiting and possibly could be relaxed. So many times I had taken shots that were outside the time frame, '...the ones that got away' you might say.

I should hate to lose the competition element in the forum completely.

Graham
Old 03-08-09, 23:13

I'd go for that. As it is by the time I've got round to opening the subject for the comp, thought about what I'll do for it, I'm out of time to go anywhere, get back, process and post

Old 03-08-09, 23:37

sounds good Andy...gives everyone more time.

Trena
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep. : Scott Adams
Old 04-08-09, 10:36
Super Moderator

Just to let you all know we the mods are in the process of trying to come up with a solution, we want to keep some sort of competition going but its finding a good balance.

The monthly comp failed because of lack of entries and now it seems the weekend challenge has done the same it could be because of the time of year with lots of members away.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 04-08-09, 10:40

I think Andy's suggestion is good - I always look at the weekend comp, but my weekends are pretty busy, so I rarely get the chance to enter. I would agree that the photos should be taken during the duration of the comp, otherwise the tempation would be to trawl through old photos rather than make a new image for the brief.
Old 04-08-09, 11:19

Last 2 monthly comp's got approx 12 entries; not 2! Diminishing voters seemed to be the problem then.
Andy's base idea appeals to me; maybe further fine tuning to 1st -21st each month to enter & polls close 3 days before the end of the month to allow winner to choose a following months topic that must be Ok'd by the mods to ensure it's maybe not too extreme? Entries must be taken in that 1st-21st corresponding period.
Al.
Old 04-08-09, 11:41

I sometimes wonder if some members are intimidated by the standard of some others. Or think, I could never do that or take a picture like that. That is why in my Photography club days we always had a beginners section and a separate beginners competition. Once you had won a round in that - you had to join the seniors. Beginners could enter either competition, but seniors could only enter the senior one. We already have a group of Seniors who have won either the weekly comp, monthly comp and POTW. Just an idea and I'm very aware of the extra work this may place on our unsung heroes, the moderators and admin staff so the decision has to be theirs. Perhaps a couple of Competition only Mods could be found to help? Just thinking out loud in print but it would be sad to loose the competitions. I cannot help thinking about the last meeting I arranged, when no one turned up - I had a good time but it would have been nice to meet others as I have done on past occasions. PS I'm trying to arrange another under Never say die on the meetings thread.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!