WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Totally confused...Please help! :)

Old 20-05-09, 13:10

Default Totally confused...Please help! :)

I want to submit my photographic blog to a couple of image agencies. The thing is, a lot of them want minimum 17-48MB file sizes for submission, but my photos are all a lot smaller than that. Most of mine are only about 1-2MBs.

Does this mean I can't send these agencies my photos, or is there a way they can be resized? I only have a 6MP camera.
Old 20-05-09, 14:45

They are probably looking for uncompressed tiff files Sally. I suspect a 6MP camera would be capable of producing a 17mb tiff if you shoot in Raw and convert as a tiff. My 10mp camera produces tiff's of around 46mb.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM

Last edited by Roy C; 20-05-09 at 14:49.
Old 21-05-09, 15:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally View Post
Does this mean I can't send these agencies my photos, or is there a way they can be resized? I only have a 6MP camera.
Sally,

As Roy says uncompressed Tiff is the way to go.
My Nikon D100 is 6mp, and the Tiff's, depending on image detail can be anywhere from 30 to 36mb without any resizing.

Don
Old 22-05-09, 08:59

Thanks both for the reply!

Unfortunately I have been shooting lots of my photos on my blog in fine JPEG, as I don't have proper Raw conversion software and also I have been finding that my photos are very good quality in fine JPEG. This means though, that I am limited with where I can send my photos.
Old 22-05-09, 09:22
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sally View Post
Thanks both for the reply!

Unfortunately I have been shooting lots of my photos on my blog in fine JPEG, as I don't have proper Raw conversion software and also I have been finding that my photos are very good quality in fine JPEG. This means though, that I am limited with where I can send my photos.
This is one of the limitations of jpg, what you take is what you get, with RAW you can make more alterations without degrading the image and can generate high res TIFFS when needed. Didn't you get a RAW converter with your camera, I'd assumed that like Canons the Nikons would come with one. A 6mp camera will limit you anyway as you won't be able to generate TIFFS large enough for some of the agencies.
Old 22-05-09, 09:31

Hi Sally,

Try saving a jpeg as a Tiff.

I have just tried it and a 2.5mb jpeg becomes a 15.14 Tiff.

My thought is that if you are sending to Agencies they will want absolutely best image quality and that can only come from 16 bit Tiffs, and to get them you need to shoot in RAW then convert to 16 bit Tiff.

I have printed a jpeg which is 8 bits from my D100 on A2 without any obvious signs of jpeg blocks showing. A 16 bit file would have been far better though.

Don
Old 22-05-09, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey View Post
Hi Sally,

Try saving a jpeg as a Tiff.

I have just tried it and a 2.5mb jpeg becomes a 15.14 Tiff.

My thought is that if you are sending to Agencies they will want absolutely best image quality and that can only come from 16 bit Tiffs, and to get them you need to shoot in RAW then convert to 16 bit Tiff.

I have printed a jpeg which is 8 bits from my D100 on A2 without any obvious signs of jpeg blocks showing. A 16 bit file would have been far better though.

Don
You are right there Don, you could just convert a jpeg to a tiff but that would be a pointless exercise as it would not improve the IQ. Like you say, the agency is after the very best quality to begin with.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM