WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > The Digital Darkroom

The Digital Darkroom The In-Computer editing forum.

Got the Picture - Whats next

Old 28-03-06, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Rob,

I think thats a good idea.

This is something I would be interested in. Thought about it today and am going to do a test using XP, 2000, and 98SE. to see if the modern program writes more info to the file.

Personal example ; We moved to Norfolk, and are now 5 hours one way from my mother. I now write using word ( her eyesight is not what it was ), and add pictures to make the letters more interesting. When we joined the RSPB and started visiting Tichwell, I took lots of pictures, some became joiners. I downsized and compressed these, as that letter was to have around 10 pics and the printer stuggled with that. Those with large areas of blue skies showed the dreaded banding. The result of overcompression.

If I was new to this forum and posting a gallery pic, and did not understand compression at all, I could be quite frustrated posting that glorious summer scene and looking at the final result in the gallery and not understanding why.

Don
Surely the operating system writes nothing to the file, especially as you are not using it to resave the images. Differences in file size it seems tome come about as a result of resaving the file in different progs at different compression levels. With the file you refer to I saved it in PS using the Save for Web command but had to go much much lower than normal,round about 30% to get it to the size you had. Normally I would use no less than 50% for a file approx 800pix wide to keepit under 200kb. BTW Save for Web in PS strips out all the exif data.

With regard to your printing Don, I can't help feeling that the banding to which you refer was as a result of printing on ordinary letter paper and the standard print quality, it could also mean your print heads could do with cleaning
Old 28-03-06, 22:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey
Now I have my image, what advantage is there in upsizing the file ??

This comes from looking at DPR where some guys are upsizing 4.1mp D2Hs files as a matter of course.

Don
There are many reasons why you may want to upsize the file Don. However my brother uses a 300D and takes his pics at 1600 pix wide His thinking is that as he only ever has them printed to 6x4 there is no need to take them any bigger. There is little point in me trying to explain to him

If you want to have large images printed then you may need the extra file size
The extra file size may allow you to edit them more easily, or crop them to maintain a decent print size
Most reputable stack libraries ask for 40mb files these days. They allow upsizing but no sharpening.
Old 11-04-06, 16:41

Smile Practice, practice and more practice

To look at using laptop control of the camera I took a pcture of a Dividing Head in my workshop.

Due to the flourecent lights in the workshop and using a slow shutter speed, the resulting images had a colour cast. This is most obvious in the Collet Chuck ( black object in left forground ). At the time I took 2 pictures, a JPG and a RAW in order to post screen captures in the ' Camera Remote Control through a PC ' thread.

With a visit from Nikon Foxy Bob on the cards for a bit of digi darkroom tutorial, I thought this was a good pic to get some practice in.

I took the TIFF created from the origonal NEF file and had a go at correcting it in CS2 ( more to learn ). I am quite chuffed with this but comments welcome.

I have attached a composite, from left to right, of the origonal JPG - my first converted TIFF and the latest result. I tried to title them but the composite suffered badly from compression artifacts.

Origonal JPG is in the Flash thread, and origonal NEF conversion in my gallery. Latest full size here.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D_Head WIP Progress.jpg (184.6 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg D_Head WIP 2.jpg (150.4 KB, 8 views)
Old 22-12-07, 23:28

Had a quick twiddle (so to speak!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 191007blackfirs499-2.jpg (148.0 KB, 15 views)

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway
Old 23-12-07, 11:50
Super Moderator

Nice one Adey. I like the rich colours it gives it an autumnal feel.
I am sorry your post is before mine but when I moved it to this thread its in a slightly different order.

The photo should be before Adeys edit.
I would be interested to see what else can be done other then what I have already done.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 191007blackfirs499.jpg (356.9 KB, 3 views)
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 23-12-07, 14:45

Christine,

Adeys is very good and better than I could manage in colour.

Here is my version.

I thought this to be quite a difficult one. Not very happy with my attempts to retain it in colour, so thought I would try an IR effect. Only the second attempt at that and all stages done in line with an article in AP 13th October.

A case of using all my programs as I only understand bits of each , so a bit in NX then to CS for an IR conversion then to Paint Shop Pro 8 for the border ( don't know how to do that in CS ) then back to CS for conversion from Tiff.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IR 191007blackfirs499.jpg (235.2 KB, 10 views)
Old 23-12-07, 15:17
Super Moderator

A nice effect Don, it brings out the trunks of the trees a bit more in IR.

The photo is not the best quality but there is plenty of detail, I could only come up with giving more saturation to lift it a bit.

Here is a good website to get some of the plugins for CS so you don't have to keep switching programs.
http://www.atncentral.com/download.htm
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,

Old 23-12-07, 20:28

Christine,

Wow looks to be a lot of stuff there. Now bookmarked for an in depth look. I have not used actions before so a bit more swotting up.

Don
Old 23-12-07, 21:05
Super Moderator

Don, when you unzip the files put them in this folder.
\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS3\Presets\Actions

Old 24-12-07, 09:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire View Post
Nice one Adey. I like the rich colours it gives it an autumnal feel.
If it was posted in the middle of summer I'd probably have given it a totally different treatment!

Anyone want to have a play with this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_1448.jpg (85.0 KB, 9 views)

http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/...00/ppuser/1805

'Write when there is something you know: and not before: and not too damned much after' Ernest Hemingway