WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Photographing Jewellery? help please

Old 27-01-11, 13:08

Default Photographing Jewellery? help please

Hi guys

I am looking to do some photography work for my first client.

My client is starting up their own jewellery business. Well the client already sells the jewellery but they need some decent pictures.

I tried taking some pictures of jewellery the other day, but it did not come out that well (jewellery placed on different items of clothing, but the jewellery became lost within the colours)

I was just viewing the critique forum and saw someone who had recently done a shoot with the jewellery on a plain white background (which is what the client wanted) and it came out well (at least I thought anyway and the did not detract from the jewellery making it stand out well). The criticism from others was though that it didnt bring out the best from the jewellery

Therefore, if (unless the client specifies) the best is to be achieved from photos of the jewellery, what kind of background suits different pieces of jewellery?

I have seen light boxes, but these retail for around £200 a pop, (although I might just be tempted to make one) anyone help much is much appreciated

I have looked at online professional sites, but still struggling to achieve a similar look in the photography I do

(I have a canon EOS 500D, and do a 365 project so am fairly well versed to taking a variety of different pictures....just really struggling on this aspect)

Pics are being taken with a standard 18-55mm Canon lens which should be fine also

Thanks
Old 27-01-11, 13:37

I'd expect plain black velvet would work rather well, allowing you to capture pretty much just the jewellery in question. (Rich blues & reds can work well too if they complement the piece)
If you have an off camera TTL flash available, this should give you a fair range of options with lighting used either direct (specular) or bounced of white card (more diffuse).

If you'd prefer continuous lighting there are numerous designs of DIY light boxes/tents on the web. (www.instructables.com has at least 3 IIRC).

Depending on the size of the subjects you might want to get a bit closer in, there's an excellent thread on budget macro if you do.

Pentax K5ii & Panasonic G5 user (with far too many bits to list)
Member of North Essex Photographic Workshop
Also online with PentaxUser.co.uk, Flickr, MU-43, MFLenses...
Old 27-01-11, 14:02

thanks mate

what do people reckon to this?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Portable-Camer...item4aa784e708
Old 27-01-11, 17:33

Well I don't know much about jewellery but like Petrochemist I woudl think black would be a good background, that is usually how they are displayed in shops.

I think you might struggle with a kit lens though, if the peices are small you probably need a decent macro lens.

That lighting set up looks interesting. No-one seems to have left any negative feedback about it.