WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Shooting Film with a vintage Kodak

Old 11-02-11, 22:04

Thanks, Alex. I find digital photography rewarding - it's great to get an image or print that I like, and that others like, too. Job well done, in that case.
I think I may like doing processing and developing, too, for the satisfaction of "creation" of something...using my own hands, as it were.

I will definitely be looking into it.
Old 11-02-11, 23:13

There is nothing more satisfying in photography than to open a developing tank and viewing the negatives of shots you took earlier that day. Phil
Old 12-02-11, 18:20

You could even just develop the film, no darkroom needed this will only set you back a few ponds! Only a tank and chemicals are needed then take or scan a picture of your negative and do all the PP in photo shop, if you look at my gallery I did this with a 30 year old negative I had of my niece.

Australian Bug Life
http://www.lifeunseen.com/

Jim
Old 12-02-11, 21:53

Bear in mind colour is considerably more complicated than B&W (like saying it's harder than brewing a cup of tea) but for the first time B&W is recommended, far fewer chemicals needed and not so tight temp control.
Old 12-02-11, 21:59

I will do. I will get this colour film developed by the shop, and if THAT works out, mighht get some B&W...will be fun!
Old 19-03-11, 15:01

I love developing my own b/w film. Sometimes I find it more interesting that actually shooting, but I'm a process type of person and a perfectionist. I'm in the process of buying the things I need at home because I've been doing it all at university. Everyone used to come to me to get advice on how to print their images when they're using the enlarger because I'm pretty much had it down. At the moment I'm just developing the negatives and scanning them. Not as much fun at all.
Old 20-03-11, 08:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrains View Post
I love developing my own b/w film. Sometimes I find it more interesting that actually shooting, but I'm a process type of person and a perfectionist. I'm in the process of buying the things I need at home because I've been doing it all at university. Everyone used to come to me to get advice on how to print their images when they're using the enlarger because I'm pretty much had it down. At the moment I'm just developing the negatives and scanning them. Not as much fun at all.
I would like to get it sorted, but I haven't even finished the roll of film in the Kodak! I got so sidetracked just lately, I haven't had it out...

...I will finish the roll this weekend and get it processed, then see what we have. If it's good, I might build up my film shooting.

Cheers
Old 20-03-11, 23:44

Whilst it's no doubt a classic camera, I don't think this really ranks as a vintage model. The 1B wasn't made before the 1959, so it's hardly even older than me!
My own Kodak lens (an Anastigmat probably from the 1930s) got tried out for the first time earlier this month - also providing some fun, even though I cheated & used it with digital, though I did at least use bellows.
(I don't have the original camera - or even know what it would have been used on.)
I do plan to try out more old fashioned photography this summer, using an M42 Zenit that I picked up for £5 with an unused B&W film. Later I might even try out blending my own processing chemicals (A book I got recently has a collection of alternative recipes) & I fancy printing directly onto a tee shirt... But I guess I'm just a mad chemist.
Hope you have fun going back to basics

Pentax K5ii & Panasonic G5 user (with far too many bits to list)
Member of North Essex Photographic Workshop
Also online with PentaxUser.co.uk, Flickr, MU-43, MFLenses...
Old 21-03-11, 00:12

Ah, 1959 makes it a bit older than me, so a classic will do. It's a lovely looking camera, though, all shiny, and it's very clean!

Whether it (or I) take good pictures is a different matter...better get the roll finished and see what i got! I will share here when I do.
Old 21-03-11, 00:26

I have seen some rely good results developing black and white film in a mixture of coffee and vitamin c tablets.