WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

How to focus on small teeths?

Old 06-08-10, 18:56

Default How to focus on small teeths?

Hi!

Im trying to take some pics focusing on the teeths of some fish..

but everytime I try to zoom enough, gets too blurry and i have to zoom out, making impossible to take a detailed pic... I've attempted with both of my lenses with no success (18-55 and 55-200)

this is an example of what Im trying to do
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/c...ii-7inch18.jpg

thanks, and sorry about the newbie question!

-P.
Old 06-08-10, 21:30

To get that kind of detail, you are going to need a macro lens, and LOTS of light. If you use a flashgun, you are likely to get a lot of reflection off the glass of the tank. You'll be better off using the tank lights, putting additional lights above the tank.
Old 10-08-10, 13:37

Saw an interesting article about photographing frogs, fish etc. The guy had made a tank from white acrylic with a clear acrylic front. The creature could be placed inside after being washed and lit with two flashes, one above and one behind, shot through the white acrylic. Very effective!
Old 10-08-10, 16:06

Quote:
To get that kind of detail, you are going to need a macro lens, and LOTS of light. If you use a flashgun, you are likely to get a lot of reflection off the glass of the tank. You'll be better off using the tank lights, putting additional lights above the tank.
Yeah i've been trying with 2 lights over the tank, I'll try with 4 on my next attempts

Quote:
you are going to need a macro lens
like a 60mm macro? or which one should I get?

Quote:
Saw an interesting article about photographing frogs, fish etc. The guy had made a tank from white acrylic with a clear acrylic front. The creature could be placed inside after being washed and lit with two flashes, one above and one behind, shot through the white acrylic. Very effective!
Sounds like a great idea.. like a small tank dedicated for photos only... might be a bit hard since cichlids lose a lot of coloration if they get scared.. but still a great idea! if you ever get across that article again please let me know!

Thanks for your comments very much appreciated!
Old 10-08-10, 18:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepo View Post
like a 60mm macro? or which one should I get?
I suspect that you may be better off with something in the 90mm or 105mm range for fish teeth.
Old 30-10-10, 16:38

The longer focal length your macro lens the greater the working distance (Distance between the end of the lens and the subject) and therefore the less chance of frightening off your subjects or scaring them so much they change their appearance. I recommend the Nikon Micro Nikkor 200mm f4 ED IF Ai-S. Its a manual focus lens so ideal for macro use where AF is pretty much useless.
Its working distance is around 12" for the bare lens but it can come down to around 6-8" once you have tubes/closeup lenses fitted...Thats still a massive working distance in comparision to the 55mmm f2.8 version and its quite lightweight as 200mm lenses go.
Good for shots of flying insects that have landed as they are easily scared off with shorter focal length macos lenses.