WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

b&w dark Room chat

Old 21-02-06, 01:41

Talking b&w dark Room chat

tips and tricks ?
Old 21-02-06, 19:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweasel91
tips and tricks ?
Hi there,

I have had a darkroom on and off since the 1960's. When I moved a few years ago I packed it up and it is still in the loft. I developed and printed from slide and black & white but not colour negative.

As this is your thread you need to tell us something about yourself and what you are doing in your darkroom. By that I mean is it a basic set up or a bit more ? Are you just starting out or have you some experience ? Are you developing your own film or printing? As you are in the States I would have to depend on the net to understand what chemicals/paper etc you are using.

Do you have access to a digital camera that would allow you to post pics as that would help a lot.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Don
Old 21-02-06, 23:26

thanks Mr. Hoey

I myself just started developing my own b&w a month ago at my friends house, she works at the Austin American statesman and borrowed a tank and some reels from them. I used some 400 b&w, developer and fix from Kodak, and my backpack for a dark bag, i think its a lot of fun personally, and just did it quick and easy
and i have a little canon pwrshot a75 but thats it as far as digi goes
Old 22-02-06, 13:57

Hi,

Firstly can we get rid of the ' Mr ' bit, we are a bit more relaxed here.

As you are using your backpack as a dark bag for loading your films, does that mean you are having to have them printed for you ?
Although you get total control over your film by doing your own developing the real fun bit is printing. It is at this stage that you have the greatest impact on the final result.

If you have not got to printing yet, see if you can visit someone with a darkroom who does B & W. A local photographic club member, or does the Austin American Statesman still run a darkroom ? If so can you get a visit ? Colour printing was never quite so much fun. A colour safe light gives off so little light that you have to just sit there for 1/2 an hour as your eyes get acclimatised. You have to use deep tank or drum processing. With drum processing you seem to spend more time washing up after each print - it just loses the fun element. With B & W you are off, once the chemicals are mixed.

In my opinion once you have had a go at B & W printing you will regard the film developing process as necessary, but not the fun bit.
There is nothing like watching the image appear on the paper in the developing tray ... MAGIC !!

Don