WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

SLR Camera Use and RSI

Old 28-02-06, 14:08

Default SLR Camera Use and RSI

I have been thinking about this for a while. The thought of holding a heavy DSLR camera coupled with a large lens may lead to RSI (Repetitive Strain Injury). A camera can only be gripped properly using the right hand and all steering and control is also done by the right hand, support is provided by the left hand/arm.

When I am using the camera all day at airshows I have for two days afterward the feeling of strain in the right fingers because they have been used to grip and steer the heavy setup. More-so when the weather was cold during use.

I switched to monopod use but still found the right hand/fingers still did lots of work and although the strain was less still occurred.

Total weight of my current setup is approx 3Kg

Anyone else find this or just me.
Old 28-02-06, 18:41

Hi Stephen, I thought it was just me being weak! I also do airshows. (not very well) and used my sigma 70-200 for the first time last October and had the same problem. Personally I just think its the muscles in the hands and fingers being overused.

Nogbad
Old 28-02-06, 18:56

Its quite unnatural for your fingers to support and handle that weight for upto 8 hours. With a long display such as Red Arrows it can really hurt.

I would use the left hand at times but SLR cameras are only right handed!
Old 28-02-06, 21:58

I think the answer here is that one has to relax between shots.Late last summer I was perched on my trike for 1 hr trying to take shots of Swallows who were flying overhead.I was holding aloft a 20D plus 100-400 lens.I do have serious joint probs which do affect my shouders and hands.The pain was unbelievable in the evening.I could not even use the pc mouse for several days.So now I try to relax between shots and just hold the camera loosely on my knee.I guess this is where using a tripod comes into its own for heavier lens set ups,but most of the time this is not practical.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 01-03-06, 07:16

Another one here with joint problems exacerbated by using the camera in cold weather. A pair of fingerless gloves (with a flap-over mitten conversion option) helps somewhat. For me, part of the problem is that they make these things too small for my, admittedly huge, hands. I tried a 350D at first, but I could hardly get one finger to fit in the grip, so I ended up with a 20D. That's still too small, but at least it's usable.
Old 08-03-06, 11:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Fox
When I am using the camera all day at airshows I have for two days afterward the feeling of strain in the right fingers because they have been used to grip and steer the heavy setup. More-so when the weather was cold during use.

Total weight of my current setup is approx 3Kg

Anyone else find this or just me.
Stephen,

I've been giving this a bit of thought. Wandering round the house holding my D100 with 80-200 f2.8 on. Stevie thinks I am quite mad. The weight is a bit lower than yours at 2.5 kg but after a while it really seems heavy.

This brought to mind my Bronica SQA, which depending on lens choice could be equally heavy. For that camera I had a speed grip. While allowing faster operation, hence the name, it did allow extended use without finger strain. Pentax also offered a grip for their 6 x 7 SLR which was a big beast.

Considering the grip there is a difference in how the fingers actually grip. With the Bronica and Pentax the fingers could wrap right round the grip in a natural way. With the DSLR you cannot close the hand in a natural grip so giving strain to the back of the hand.

The only thing I have found so far that may be worth a look is the Nikon AH-4 strap. Attatched is quite a good link as it explains it quite well. You will need to scroll about half way down the page. http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography...ries/index.htm

Don
Old 08-03-06, 12:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine
I think the answer here is that one has to relax between shots.Late last summer I was perched on my trike for 1 hr trying to take shots of Swallows who were flying overhead.I was holding aloft a 20D plus 100-400 lens.I do have serious joint probs which do affect my shouders and hands.The pain was unbelievable in the evening.I could not even use the pc mouse for several days.So now I try to relax between shots and just hold the camera loosely on my knee.I guess this is where using a tripod comes into its own for heavier lens set ups,but most of the time this is not practical.
Christine is right-rest inbetween shots-by using the setup for hours your hand muscle develop a strain(i call it overuse fatigue).You must rest between shots and dont forget your neck too-for you taking shots of AIR SHOWs-you can even strain your neck(causing cervical sypondlysis)-the older you get the worse will it get.Our body is a machine over use it you are going to have problems.I have advised a lot of my patients to keep warm water with them -put some salt in the warm water and emise your hand in it and according to them the fatigue was much better but for one -he came back and told me Doc no improvement and i asked him did you imese your hand in the salt water he said NO I DRANK IT(sigh-ah ).Any how try and let me know.Regards.
Old 08-03-06, 14:34

When a big lens is involved I always hold it in my left hand only using my right when i'm actually taking a shot. I also use a hand strap that allows me to relax my grip with my right hand if using a smaller lens.

If the lens is large enough I often hold it by the tripod mount and will carry it round like that most of the day.

Rob.