WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Argggh! Something else to worry about

Old 13-03-06, 22:44

Default Argggh! Something else to worry about

I placed my camera down on the picnic table for maybe 5 minutes and I look down and what do I see? The camera has turned a lime green under all the pine pollen that is falling. Now I can imagine this pollen could cause some serious problems for the sensor and the pollen is not going to go anywhere for several more weeks unless we get a good rain. I sprayed the camera with a can of compressed air. Any other suggestions short of not taking the camera out of its bag for the next few weeks?
Old 14-03-06, 07:46

Only thing I can think of is to go somewhere else to take pictures for the next few weeks. Unless you have a waterproof housing?

Rob.
Old 14-03-06, 07:49

I would avoid using compressed air as it could well blow dust inside the camera. Use a soft brush and a slightly damp cloth to wipe it all off. As long as you don't change lenses in the area and/or before cleaning it I wouldn't worry too much.

N.B. Addition of "worry"!
Old 14-03-06, 12:07

Thanks guys. I wasn't too sure about using the compressed air either. I did make sure I blew away from the camera and not into it but a damp cloth might be more suitable.

Pine Trees are predominate in the south so going somewhere where there are none is next to impossible.
Old 14-03-06, 13:59

A cheap alterantive is to put the camera in a "baggie" use a rubber band to secure the neck around the lens and then cut off any extra that might get in the way of the lens. Most of the buttons, etc should still be useable and the only exposed part of your camera will be the end of the lens.

This does limit you to only one lens and large extending zooms ( such as the Sigma 50-500mm) don't really work but it will limit your cameras contact with the pollen.

Good luck, Rob.