WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

'Pro' - 'Expert' cameras most confusing

Old 21-04-06, 14:49

Default 'Pro' - 'Expert' cameras most confusing

I read with interest this week that TIPA (Technical Image Press Association) have announced their awards for this year. What I found most interesting was that the Award for the best 'Pro' camera had been given to the Canon 5D, whilst the best 'Expert' camera was the Nikon D200.

Now so far as I know Canon do not promote the 5D as a 'Pro' camera. So how come TIPA give it that designation?

I have read comparison reports between the 2 cameras and they find difficulty in separating the two, so why should the D200 not be given this designation. We all know the 5D is a FF 30D and I would suggest that is an 'Expert' camera.

So what makes a Pro camera? Is it FF? No that can't be right, the Canon 1DMkIIN and the Nikon D2x are not FF yet they are most definately Pro camera. Is it therefore the Price, surely not.

I think in all truthfullness we all know what a Pro camera really is, and a lot of it comes down to build quality and robustness.

Now TIPA and other such organisations make their money with these affairs by selling a licence to the manufacturers, to use their logo etc in promotional literature for advertising and so on. Will Canon buy such a licence? You betcha life they will So where does that leave us?

Basically is it all a marketing exercise and does it means very little? I think I would prefer to read the comments of some well respected photo journalists than be influenced by the likes of TIPA. Well thats my opinion, what's yours?
Old 21-04-06, 15:02
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Basically is it all a marketing exercise and does it means very little? I think I would prefer to read the comments of some well respected photo journalists than be influenced by the likes of TIPA. Well thats my opinion, what's yours?
Nail on the head firmly hit Yep, TIPPA is a load of rubbish from mag journo's, many of whom were probably reviewing gas cookers or suchlike two years ago.... and with their editors breathing down their necks regarding advertising revenues.

'Pro' camera usually means build quality/durability/weatherproofing to me.
Old 21-04-06, 15:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen
Basically is it all a marketing exercise and does it means very little?
Having been interviewed by a mag dealing with manufacturing solutions, and seen the published article, I would agree with Andy's comments.
Marketing, marketing, marketing.

None of these ' Awards ' would have any affect on any purchasing decision I made.

Don
Old 23-04-06, 09:50

They gave last year's award to Canon (the 350D) so this year it goes to Nikon (the D70). Next year it will be Canon's turn again. As for the "pro" award .... well, you can make your own judgement there. And they gave a printer award to Hewlett-Packard, of all people! Huh? Since when was HP even in the same ballpark as the expert photo printers made by Epson and Canon? Since never, actually.

Sumary: junk.
Old 23-04-06, 10:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannin
And they gave a printer award to Hewlett-Packard, of all people! Huh?
Probably because they make over half the worlds printers and some of them use a Canon engine.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated