WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Machine gun photography

Old 19-12-05, 18:41

Default Machine gun photography

I lurk on the dpreview forums (though never post, it can be rather unpleasant at times) and was rather astonished to see that someone had taken 10,372 shots with his Nikon D2Hs dSLR. “What’s so shocking about that?” you may well ask. The shocking factors are: He’s not a pro working on a job, and he took them in about 5 hours on one day. It averaged 2 shots/second. Phew! Not only that, this was not an unusual weekend’s shooting for him. The really impressive thing was he’d done it on one charge of the battery!

He’d culled the 10K down to just over 1,800 and posted them all on his pBase gallery. His main job is selling dogs and he was taking lots of shots to try and show how cute and appealing his dogs are. Trouble is, there’s a limit to how many dog pictures you can look at before you get bored, especially as an awful lot of them are very, very similar – they are the same particular breed.

The vast majority of the comments on this guy’s shooting style were along the lines of “slow down, compose your shot, go for quality, not quantity”. Each to his/her own, but I agree with these sentiments. Apart from anything else, Nikon only guarantees the shutter for 150K shots and he can only do 15 days at this rate before he’s on borrowed time.

I started photography using film and it has taken quite a lot of time for me to get out of the habit of treating every shot as though it was the last frame on the reel. I rarely use burst mode with digital, just as I rarely used the motordrive in the past, it used to get far too expensive. Apart from anything else, I really can’t be bothered to sort through 20 near identical shots, agonising over which is the best. The most I’ll usually do is a batch of 7 shots, bracketing the exposure in increments either side of what I think is the right reading given the subject in question and if I think the metering is going to be fooled. In the film days it would have been a batch of 4 at most.

When the Canon 350D had just launched and a big feature being pushed in the marketing was the continuous shooting rate and associated large buffer. I recall one comment posted about “machine gun photography” with a statement along the lines of “hold the button down until the buffer/card is full and hope that something interesting has passed in front of the lens in the meantime”. Cruel, but I dare say there’s some that use it that way.

Do you blast away, or take your time? The subject for further discussion is: Do you advocate machine gun photography, and if so, why?

Regards,

Duncan.
Old 19-12-05, 18:56
Admin

Yeah, I read that guy's post a week or two ago... not many believed him, especially the battery aspect (though i regularly get 1200 per battery).

Although I have 8fps at my disposal (and it does sound mighty impressive), I tend not to do bursts of more than 15 shots in one go (speed setting at 5fps). If I can't get get a healthy shutter-speed, I'm usually asking for trouble after the first shot with mirror bounce. It all depends upon the situation and subject though.

I don't really have a problem going through large numbers of almost identical shots... i can zoom right in on the camera monitor and go through all images at same zoom level to judge the sharpest.
Old 19-12-05, 20:03

I know what you mean Ducan almost like using a cine camera and picking out single frames. What is it the army say "short bursts of 3 rounds". Since having the 20D I have tended to use this mode for shots of flight and twitchy birds. Normally 2 or 3 shots at a time. I would find it tedious going through dozens of shots to pick out the better pose or sharper image. I often find my 1st shot is the best but occasionally the next maybe a better pose or sharper. In a days shooting I average 50 - 100 shots. I find the more I take the higher the percentage of rejects.

I am from the same school, in a roll of 36 FP4 film say 6 rejects, mainly not sharp enough to blow up to 8 x 10 or tricky lighting conditions.

Rob
Old 19-12-05, 20:34

I have only been to DP Review forums a few times since joining BirdForum - just not enough time but out of interest I will look for this thread - sounds like this guy should have been using video.

Quote:
The subject for further discussion is: Do you advocate machine gun photography, and if so, why?
I think there are situations where selective use of burst photography is well justified. Sports and action spring to mind and I have seen some superb images that may otherwise have not happened.
On the whole though I am a believer in a considered approach. Medium format with its reversed viewfinder image slowed me down. 5 x 4 slowed me to veritable crawl. Number of dead shots - 5 x 4 very few, medium format a few more, 35mm quite a lot more. Says something ? Apart from the cost of film I think the bigger viewfinder just made you slow down and think a bit.

If Leaf digital backs were a long way under their £15,000 I may have stayed with MF.

In 35mm I always had a drive attatched but this was primarily to give better handling and a more stable platform when not on a tripod. Just weighed the F2AS with 50mm f1.4 in at 1950g - without film. That mass really damps mirror bounce. Very stable when using a longer lens. Using the F2 drive ( powered by 8AA batteries ) in earnest could be hazardous to your film if the frame counter is not properly set as it will rip the film out of its cannister without this stop set.

I do think that with the arrival of higher buffers, bigger image storage and no frame cost in digital ( other than time sifting the results ) , the temptation to blast away will grow in some area's of the hobby.

Don
Old 19-12-05, 20:42

It's here:
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...hread=16284937
If you can't find it.

Can't say it's worth spending more than 5 minutes on it. It's not a mindset I understand.

I fully understand what you mean about MF slowing you down. I have a 1938 Rolleiflex that is primarily an ornamental piece. I take it out now and again when I've been getting stressed for whatever reason. It makes me concentrate totally on the photography and takes my mind away from whatever it is that's been bothering me. It is the complete antithesis of machine gun photography. The mirror is badly blotchy, there's no metering, the shutter and aperture settings are analogue dials and who knows how accurate the calibration is for the shutter. I think I've done well if I get one good shot out of the 12. it doesn't matter, the camera has done its job of making me switch off.

Duncan.

Last edited by yelvertoft; 19-12-05 at 20:47.
Old 19-12-05, 20:49
Admin

Here's the original thread
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...ssage=16205504 ... yawn inducing
Old 19-12-05, 21:47

Well I just could not resist it.

Checked out the EXIF's and his clock has stopped.

As for the battery perhaps Duracell could find him a job. The drumming bunny from last year would still be going.

Check the clock........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dead Clock.jpg (81.9 KB, 36 views)
Old 19-12-05, 22:55
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hoey

Check the clock........
How many frames did the time stay the same?... it's possible for him to have 7 or 8 frames in a second. I still reckon it's all a bit odd.
Old 19-12-05, 23:06

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
How many frames did the time stay the same?... it's possible for him to have 7 or 8 frames in a second. I still reckon it's all a bit odd.

Bbbwwwaaaahhhhaaaaahaaaa!

I know I've had a bottle of wine since I last logged on, but this really made me laugh!!!!
Old 19-12-05, 23:18

Fishy methinks!
I keep my camera set on a 3 frame burst and today I managed to get 3 wonderful photos of where the Kingfisher was!!!

Mick