WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

Mistakes.

Old 08-08-06, 21:33

Default Mistakes.

Took a few shots at the weekend and forgot to reset my ISO speed from 800 to a lower setting so lost quality which had me thinking of all the many mistakes I've made over the years from leaving lens caps on to opening the back of the camera to take the film out before rewinding the film. If there is a mistake I've probably had a go at it - anybody else learnt the hard way and would like to share?
Old 08-08-06, 21:37

Mike,twice I have accidentally turned down the exposure/compensation setting down to zero.It is usally kept at 0ne third of a stop down.My own fault as I never check histograms etc.All the images came out so dark.But I did manage to rescue several each time using Picasa.The last time it happened I had been photographing the local mink in the river.The first time I have actually seen them,I took over 100 shots.Not a mistake I will make again-hopefully not.

http://www.haverigg.com

http://www.birdforum.net/gallery/sho...00/ppuser/2356
Old 08-08-06, 21:51
Super Moderator

My biggest mistake was erasing all the images on the card and not just the one that was blurred, fortunately I realised what I had done and was able to get most of the images back with sandisks recovery software. I now double check as I delete any photo's in the camera that I haven't moved onto the all button.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 08-08-06, 22:01

My trick has been to leave the camera still set for indoor lighting and then do a whole days shooting outdoors before I notice. A few times gone for a walk around my local patch without a memory card or forget to check the battery level to see if freshly charged battery needs fitting.

-----------------------------------------------------
Solar powered Box Brownie Mk2

Captain Sunshine, to be such a man as he, and walk so pure between the earth and the sea.

WPF Gallery
Birdforum Gallery
http://www.robertstocker.co.uk updated
Old 08-08-06, 22:01

About 10 years go I was photographing dragonflies and ran out of film. So I took out the exposed film, and walked away from the tripod. However the tripod was embedded in the silt of a stream, and my walking away through the squelchy sediment unbalanced the tripod, tipping the camera and lens into the stream. Goodbye camera (Nikon F90X) and hello big lens cleaning bill. On another occasion I dropped an exposed film into a bog. And there's a free like new Nikon DR3 right angle finder in the New Forest for anyone who can find it, after I put it down, and promptly lost it. I had a film lost in the post, and another turned out blue when the Kodak development machine broke. I sent my best two slides to a well known printer, who returned them by normal post (I had paid for recorded) and that was the last I saw of the slides and I never saw the prints. Touchwood, my recent antics have been less costly. Thus far.

I suppose I now count my mistakes as learning experiences and I try not to make the same mistake again e.g. inappropriate shutter speed or aperture, unstable support, wrong location, wrong time of day etc. If this lark was easy, it wouldn't be challenging and fun. Would it?
Old 09-08-06, 07:50

The most common mistake I make is to switch to (for example) aperture priority for a particular subject and forget to switch back to program/shutter priority/manual as needed for the next subject. I'll usually twig what I've done if the light changes and the readings don't move as I expect them to but not always.

Sometimes leave the exposure compensation dialled in to a particular figure and forget to move it back after I've finished with the subject that needed it.
Old 09-08-06, 12:15

Location: Prince Edward Island, Canada & Ocala National Forest, Florida, USA

Took a bunch of dragonfly shots yesterday before realizing that the compactflash card was back in the house.
Old 09-08-06, 12:53

I mainly shoot aviation so my camera remains setup more or less for that where little deviation is required. I normally clean lenses and pack a camera bag to evening before its needed and I set the camera to what I believe will be close to whats needed, shutter and aperture along with ISO.

Past mistakes:-

Going out forgetting a spare battery with only 10% remaining on the fitted battery - DOH!

Going out forgetting a CF card case leaving only CF card in camera - DOH!

At Southend openday, first real outing of this year and being used to shooting portraits and still life using flash I figured 1/60th was fast to I would be able to shoot moving objects 100m away at 1/60 - 1/125 using a focal length of upto 340mm - Nah!!
Old 09-08-06, 13:04

One of my howlers has been nudging the exposure compensation wheel whilst shooting air to air and not realising until I'd taken a further 20-30 shots. It gets pretty frantic in an open cockpit and it's easily done.
Old 09-08-06, 13:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheeler
One of my howlers has been nudging the exposure compensation wheel whilst shooting air to air and not realising until I'd taken a further 20-30 shots. It gets pretty frantic in an open cockpit and it's easily done.
Not to mention tight confined space, fantastic opportunity you had there, was one of your photos used on the cover of Shuttleworth programme last weekend?