WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

The Champagne shot

Old 03-12-06, 11:00
Super Moderator

Lello, if you need the pre-flash to set off your other slave flashes I may be able to help. I used the top of a canister in white the same density as a diffuser, on one side I used black duck tape to mask it out totally. I pop it over the on camera flash with the black side facing forward this throws the light backward which doesn't effect the exposer but still triggers the slaves. You can also use it turned round white forward to act a diffused light.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 03-12-06, 11:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassan View Post
If your remote flashes are triggered by the slave, then the pre flash is the disaster that needs to be address first before you can actually use them. On the other hand if you have cable sync set up then you should be find.
Reading Sassans comment and doh Shutter would still be closed at time of pre flash. Got to get my head round this new technology.

I will read DPR review of FZ30 now then see if pre flash available on D100 to experiment with.

Don
Old 03-12-06, 12:13

I have now managed to find a download of FZ30 manual. I will read through and be back.

Don
Old 03-12-06, 15:57

Lello,

Just been taking a crash course on the FZ30. The only thought I have is a very low powered flashgun mounted on the hotshoe, Page 97 of the manual, and using this to trigger your other flash guns provided camera does not try a preflash through that . If you have a flash that operates at less than a trigger voltage of 24volt you can give it a try.
Set on camera flash to manual minimum power and slave flash to maximum. If the shot is seriously underexposed then camera is pre flashing through the hotshoe gun as well as pop up. If exposure OK or overexposed then a weak hotshoe mounted unit can be used as a trigger.

The best non internet deal I have found is Jessops 100M. This has a low guide number of 10 for £10:99. As most pop ups have a guide no of around 15 this is a nice weak unit to act as a trigger. Should not affect exposure unless the camera is sitting on top of the subject.

Don
Old 03-12-06, 16:00

Christine Thats the problem I'm having, My Fz30 fires a pre-flash to monitor the lighting conditions then sets up the cam just before the main flash,
therefor when the pre-flash fires the slave flashes also fire, the Cam then monitors the amount of light and closes the lens, So when the main flash fires and the shot is taken I get very under exposed shot. Don, The slave flashes I have are, no 1 Wotan sc18 servo! no 2 Topca 325b!
No 3 Is a Yinyan cy32twz twin thyristor flash the Yinyan is not a slave It's what I use as my main flash to fire the slaves as I said These were bought second hand a very good price. The reason I bought the 3rd flash is that it is very low Voltage (FZ30's need no more than 12 volts I think) other wise they fry! I'm thinking, If the slave flashes were quick they would also fire twice once on pre flash then main flash, But that will never happen as I said they are cheap as chips.

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 03-12-06, 16:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lello View Post
I'm thinking, If the slave flashes were quick they would also fire twice once on pre flash then main flash, But that will never happen as I said they are cheap as chips.
Pre flash is 0.8 second or less before shutter opens. Even a Quantum Turbo battery pack could not cope with recycling in that time, even with most expensive flash guns, unless power output is really turned down for strobe effect.

Don
Old 03-12-06, 16:42
Super Moderator

Lello. I don't know the camera and what can be switched on and off, but can you switch off red eye, this maybe the same as the pre flash.
Equipment= Canon 7D, 40D, 400 f5.6, 75-300, 100mm Macro, 18-55, Canon 70-200 f4, Tokina 12-24mm, Kenko pro 300 1.4,1.5 and 2.0x, Jessops ext tube set,
Canon 580 flash. Home made ring flash. . Close-lens.

Old 03-12-06, 16:42

Hi Don I was writing my last thread as you posted yours,you're right about the voltage (24volts) The reason I mentioned my on board flash is, If I could've sorted that out I would then have three salve flashes to give me extra flexibility I would have bought I sensor for the yinyan. But I wouldn't worry about it don When I get the D80 I will have a rethink about my whole equipment.

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 03-12-06, 16:50

Christine unfortunately I can't turn pre flash off at all on my cam, That's why I bought a cheap flash unit to use to fire slaves As mentioned to Don I'm not going to worry about it for now, I will have to do with the main flash and two slaves for now and spend more time setting up the shots, And only use the on board flash if and when needed.

Lelsphotos
Old 03-12-06, 17:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lello View Post
When I get the D80 I will have a rethink about my whole equipment.
Lello,

If your mind is made up on the D80 then widely advertise SC-28 off camera lead on your Christmas wish list. I have the SC-17 its earlier incarnation, and could not live without it. Used in all my stuff. All your existing flashes will be good as remotes.

I will see if the manual is available as a download so I understand answers before you ask the questions.

Don