WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

The Champagne shot

Old 03-12-06, 17:41

Is the question you're waiting for about the voltage for the D80 and can I use that lead with my flash guns? I know that the "Topca 325b!" has got a very high voltage output and I take it, If it's to high for the D80 I won't even be able to use it with the SC-28 lead?

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 03-12-06, 21:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lello View Post
Is the question you're waiting for about the voltage for the D80 and can I use that lead with my flash guns? I know that the "Topca 325b!" has got a very high voltage output and I take it, If it's to high for the D80 I won't even be able to use it with the SC-28 lead?
Lello,

In short any flash with a high trigger voltage cannot be connected safely to ANY electronic camera by whatever means.

When I get a moment I will take the front off an old mechanical camera so you can see the lump of copper that is the flash contact.

I have downloaded the D80 manual but have not had a read through yet to see if there is a specified max trigger voltage. With the D100 I did a test, and the pop up does do a preflash whereas my SB80 trips my remote guns fine when used with SC-17 lead.

It is still possible that your Yinyan cy32twz will be fine with the lead. Do you know its trigger voltage off the top of your head ?

Don
Old 03-12-06, 21:53

Lello;

You did not pay attention to the second part of my reply. Just turn off the D80's (When you get it, hopefully in mater of days), flash. Use a off camera hotshoe flash sync cable (These are cheap and last a life of useful service including macro etc). Use a cheap and not a TTL flash on this (If cable is TTL, that hopefully is for other situations). Now everything is manual and your other flashes will fire perfectly with the first shutter curtain, so no problem what so ever.

Christine's partially dampening the pre flash light is also smart. However due to under exposed reading of light, your on camera's flash will probably shot at max out put that if right for the given situation, should cause no harm or other wise you may over expose by fire of this flash.

Its great to have Don here. My endless solute.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 03-12-06, 21:56

Don
The Yinyan was sold as a flash unit for the FZ30 (because of the voltage output) so it must be at very most 24 volts. I will see if I can find the paperwork for the yinyan to see if the trigger voltage is mentioned

No amount of security is worth the suffering of a life lived chained to a routine that has killed your dreams.

Lelsphotos
Old 03-12-06, 21:59

Sassan
Can you explain TTL, in layman's term?

Lelsphotos
Old 03-12-06, 22:18

Quote:
Sassan
Very similar to the TTL (Through the lens) sensor for general light measurement, the newer cameras have TTL capability for flash light measurement. So either the flash out put is measured that way on auto TTL mode or that pre flash, flash could help in this kind of measurement apart from probable focusing assistant as the case may be. So if your external flash is a dedicated, TTL one, a TTL cable (The hot shoe has several pins instead of only one single central pin for manual ones), it still can exhibit that pre shutter release flash, therefore firing and discharging all other remote flashes on the slave.

" JOE BIDEN
Old 03-12-06, 22:21

Oh another bypass is to use wireless (Radio wave) trigger and slave. Needless to say this is expensive, power hungry and not my kind of stuff.

" JOE BIDEN
Old 03-12-06, 22:22

Quote:
Sassan
Lello,

I must watch ' Planet Earth ' too much wonderful filming of nature. If Sassan does not answer I will be back later.

Don
Old 03-12-06, 22:25

Don enjoy the show if you can.

" JOE BIDEN
Old 03-12-06, 23:17

sassan/Don
So when I finally buy the D80 (in the new year now) is it worth investing in a TTL flash unit or will what I have be alright to keep me going for a while.
PS with the Dollar against the Pound it might worth me coming over the pond to buy a D80 over there

Lelsphotos