WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

embarrassing or wot!!!!

Old 09-03-07, 23:45

Well this sort of strikes a chord but I am thinking of Stevie here. Back in the early 90's she was using a medium format Bronica ETRS and was the object of lots of attention from men. In those days it seems that photography was a male preserve. At one event where she was asked if she was from 'the press', and with a push from me took full advantage. At another she had the guy stood next to her craning foreward to look at the front of the camera, right up the lens, just as she was about to take the pic ( never worked that one out ) . So for lady photographers in those days, they did have to put up with a bit.

I gave her a bit of a boost at one event by taking an old folding camera. At the height of the action I turned and said loudly ' What do I set this to '. Surrounded by loads of guys with cameras, this was a killer , and we still laugh about it today.

Nowadays I would not have though there would be any need for anyone to feel embarrassed as it seems everyone has a camera.

Don
Old 10-03-07, 00:51

Not only do i feel embarrassed taking photo's in public but i also get quite worried too.I only go out with my camera when i have time to myself which means i'm on my own(not that my boyfriend finds it very interesting anyway!) I find myself continuously looking over my shoulder and wondering if someone might mug me for my gear.Carrying £2000 around in a handy little camera bag must be an opportunity too good to miss for a crim!
Old 10-03-07, 02:35

Hi Polo,

I can understand being worried about theft, it's the embarrassed part I don't.

Go out and get that image and be careful.

Best regards

Jonathan Farmer
Old 10-03-07, 02:57

I had a funny incident today - was walking through the Sand Dunes and it was blowing a gale, I could feel sand blowing everywhere so decided to protect my gear (brand new 30D with the 400mm lens attached) by slipping it all under my jacket . All you could see was one heck of a bulge and a big white thing hanging out the bottom. I bumped into a lady walking a dog and I could see she was making funny glances - I told her not worry it was only my camera. She saw the funny side and laughed.

MY WEB SITE
MY PHOTOSTREAM
Old 10-03-07, 10:39

Trying to capture people on the escalator in the local shoping centre got quite a lot of attention. I had the tripod set up as a I wanted a slow shutter speed to get a bit of movment blur. I was OK for about 10 mins before the complex security staff closed in and demanded to know what I was doing. I explained but for some reason they clearly weren't happy and moved me on refusing any real reason and muttering about police if I didn't.
Old 10-03-07, 13:15

Hi Nigel,

With all the problems big cities have had with terrorism, security has been bumped up as we all know. I live in Barbados where a picture is probably taken every second by tourists and locals; seeing someone taking a photograph is no big deal, the only thing you have to be aware about is the fact that the locals don't like their picture taken without permission; if you ask for permission, the answer is usually "NO".

With respect to Polo and others on this topic feeling embarrassed has got me lost and I don't see any reason why this should be. WHAT IS EMBARRASSING ABOUT TAKING A PICTURE????? If someone makes you uncomfortable taking photographs, something should be done about it; in this kind of situation, the photographer is made a victim by someone who should be delt with by the police. If it has reached the point where the police are bothering you, then it is realy sad; let the police and others look for criminals, the ones that will mug Polo and take her equipment.
Old 10-03-07, 13:37

I suppose i could probably put up with people giving me the funny looks but if someone mugged me of my camera gear i think i would be absolutely devastated.I don't own many nice things.....only my camera gear and my c class 2.8 Merc!
Old 10-03-07, 19:24

Maybe embarrassed isn't quite the right word. I'm a naturally shy and retiring type who can manage to feel self-conscious in the presence of a cheese plant if left alone long enough ! I guess I just don't like drawing attention to myself, and waving a swadding great camera around always provokes interest. I am, however, becoming thicker skinned so there's hope for me yet.
Old 10-03-07, 19:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by polo View Post
how many of you feel embarrassed when taking photo's out in public. Some people can give you really funny looks and that just ends up making me put my camera away and missing some really good shots.
Public places belong to public. You and them included.

A mid tele lens does a good reach there. Something not long enough to bring too much attention, but powerful and sharp enough to get you where you wanna be. A 75-300mm is my suggestion. Sigma makes very good ones that are cheap too. I like the concept of mirror 500mm with a converter but the problem is very narrow F stop and then low picture sharpness.

Never give an eye to eye contact to anyone. Just a lens to eye from your side will do fine.

Hope it helped.

------------------------------

"No one is going to take our democracy away from us. Not now, not ever.
" JOE BIDEN
Old 10-03-07, 20:03

I think the reason it might be embarrassing is that you know most people don't like having their photo taken and there you are doing it without their permission. The pages of Amateur Photographer are full of stories of people getting in trouble taking pictures which might have children in them however innocent. Schools ban taking photos of you taking pictures of sports days or concerts in case anyone there is a paedophile. That and store security staff stopping you taking pictures in shopping precincts (they are private property) in case you are a terrorist and the whole atmosphere of taking people pictures has been soured. All very sad.