WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > Photography Technique > Macro Photography Technique

Macro Photography Technique Discussions on Macro Photography

how close? extension tubes and teleconverters

Old 29-12-05, 23:19

Default how close? extension tubes and teleconverters

I experimented a bit today. I use a Canon 100mm macro to shoot insects but I find I often can't get close enough to some of the smaller gnats and leafhoppers and things like that. I purchased a 12mm extension tube and I already had a 1.4x TC so I took some comparison shots of the various setups, here are the results for those that are interested.

The first one is the 100mm macro only. Each of these photos are focused as close as they can be.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...uk/macro01.jpg

The second is the 100mm macro PLUS 12mm extension tube

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...uk/macro02.jpg

This final image is taken with 12mm extension tube PLUS 1.4xTC.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...uk/macro03.jpg

This gave me the closest focus by far. These results are pretty much as I expected them to be but it is nice to see te results isde by side.

Cheers,

Russ
Old 29-12-05, 23:30

Thanks for that Russ, I have a full set of tubes to partner my Canon 100mm and Sigma 180mm, so it's nice to see a different set-up + results.

Harry
Old 29-12-05, 23:49

Hi Russ,

Firstly let me say i've just visited your site ........ superb images.

I'm definately going to have to get some digital camera system brochures to know product line up and compatability issues.

In 35mm film I have used bellows. You are talking extensions of up to nearly 100mm there. Huge magnification, massive light loss at maximum extension, and as you rack the bellows out depth of field drops significantly. Lens to subject distance is also significantly reduced.

My problem here is I do not know if there is such a unit that is compatible with your camera.

If you have access to a dealer stocking used gear you may be able to see for yourself. Unfortunately I am Nikon D100 and don't know if mine will fit ( will have a look though ). D100 does not accept some old Nikon kit.

Just scrolled down and seen wolfies post and as he is a Canon man he should be able to confirm the total magnification available as he has a full set of tubes.

Don
Old 30-12-05, 15:54

Default Bellows in Macro Photography

Well I dug out some old kit for a try.

I had to attatch a 12mm tube to clear the prism housing to allow the bellows to fit. The lens used is a manual focus Nikkor 105mm f2.5 lens. Not a macro lens though as I traded my Micro Nikkor 55mm for this one years ago.

The biggest problem with working at these extensions is focusing. You really need a micro focusing rail. I used my model lath as the suject and my milling table to achieve the function of a micro focusing rail.

At these magnifications imperfections of the subject become critical. A grain of dust can look like a boulder in the image.

Due to the number of images I will spread this over two posts.

The images here are to show lens to subject distance with a 105mm lens at both ends of the extension, and the effect of magnification on undesirables.

Link to an image from Harry's gallery that is high magnification but clear of any such undesirables http://www.worldphotographyforum.com...500&ppuser=150

The next post will show the degees of magnification.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Macro lens to subject measure.jpg (72.7 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg Model lathe_Macro 95mm ext.jpg (68.7 KB, 27 views)
Old 30-12-05, 15:59

Default The degrees of magnification available.

This post follows the previous one and is to show the effect of magnification through the use of bellows. Tubes work the same but are of fixed lengths.

The images are FULL FRAME

All exposures were at f16

PS You will need to see my next post for the scaled subject ..........doooooooooh !!!

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Macro 66.75mm extension.jpg (72.5 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Macro 108mm extension.jpg (68.7 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg Macro 154mm extension.jpg (40.1 KB, 26 views)

Last edited by Don Hoey; 30-12-05 at 16:06.
Old 30-12-05, 16:04

Default I forgot to attatch the subject

Sorry guys I forgot this, without which comparison is a bit difficult.

I am definately cracking up !!!!!!!!!

Attatched scaled image.

Don
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Macro subject size.jpg (36.2 KB, 31 views)
Old 30-12-05, 16:35
Super Moderator

Thanks Don this is going to be a big help I have recently got hold of macro tubes and bellows I didn't realise I could combine them. The bellows I got dirt cheap with 49mm threads I had an old 2.8 ziess tessar 50mm lens which I am trying. I havn't had much success yet except with dead flies. I look forward to reading how to use them to there full potential.
Old 30-12-05, 16:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
I haven't had much success yet except with dead flies.
That's the spirit! Making use of the materials to hand. Nice to see you don't feel that there's nothing around to take a picture of.

Thanks to Don for this tutorial, could be very useful.

Duncan.
Old 30-12-05, 17:15
Super Moderator

These are examples of what I have done so far. The first of the icicles were taken just with the three extension tubes and zeiss 50m lens. The one of the dead wasp was was taken with just the bellows and the zeiss lens
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Icemacroa`171105.jpg (19.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_3423a.jpg (17.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 30-12-05, 18:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphire
These are examples of what I have done so far. The first of the icicles were taken just with the three extension tubes and zeiss 50m lens. The one of the dead wasp was was taken with just the bellows and the zeiss lens

Lighting becomes a major problem with close-up work as you need to be using an aperture of at least f16 to try and cope with shallow depth of field.

I will try to do a bit on that as I find flash invaluable.

What I really like here is you are not spending shed loads of cash on your kit in order to have a go. I promise that with practice you will achieve results that will be the envy of others on the forum. Duncan is quite right about practicing on everyday objects.

The single piece of other kit that will help you the most at these magnifications is a micro focusing rail. I will do a search and see if I can find a pic that I can link you to.

Keep posting pics and whatever details you can of distance from subject and particularly f stop used.

Don