WPF - World Photography Forum
Home Gallery Register FAQ Calendar Today's Posts

Welcome to World Photography Forum!
Welcome!

Thank you for finding your way to World Photography Forum, a dedicated community for photographers and enthusiasts. There's a variety of forums, a wonderful gallery, and what's more, we are absolutely FREE. You are very welcome to join, take part in the discussion, and post your pictures!

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.

Go Back   World Photography Forum > General Photography > The Photography Forum

The Photography Forum General Photography Related Discussion.

"In the Wind" The Making of Photo Shoot Video

Old 16-01-10, 01:44

Default "In the Wind" The Making of Photo Shoot Video

"In the Wind" The Making of Photo Shoot Video

I have been asked more times than I can count, if I can share my lighting with photographers wishing to understand what I did for a specific image I have done. So I decided to have one of my shoots which features designers "Paul & Joe" Paris for their Spring/Summer collection captured on video. Frédérique Renaut used a Fuji F100 digital 6 mega pixel consumer digital camera to capture the scenes and quite frankly, I am quite impressed with the results.

None the less, it will give you an insider view in to one of my shoots where I used a mixed bag of HMI cinema lights, Tungsten and Flash as well as scrims, flags and other stuff to achieve my goal.

Julie Potapova from Silent Models in Paris was a pleasure to work with as was Marielle Loubet the Make-Up artist and Stylist Parissima Saleh. In fact although a very, very long day, it was a real pleasure working with the whole team.

I was also very pleased with the clothing on offer from "Paul & Joe" Paris. They worked perfectly for the theme, except for one change that didn't work out. Was not as fluid as I would have liked and the color I chose for the capture didn't work with the rest, so we decided to use another clothing change that would be more in line with the rest of the theme.

Anyways, hope you enjoy this almost as much as I did.

Ben :-)

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2...king-of-video/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Spring Cover.jpg (235.7 KB, 10 views)
Old 16-01-10, 09:48

Wonderful video Ben, thanks for the link. I see what you mean about painting with light - the effects are superb ....... now what lights do I need to add to my SB-600 and in built flash and can I fit it all in the spare bedroom ....... ?

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 16-01-10, 13:04

Really enjoyed the video Ben. Watched it a couple of times and will no doubt watch it several more times.
The pics from the session are totally brilliant.
BRAVO .

Don
Old 17-01-10, 12:38

I was asked for a more specific technical lighting explanation, here is the short version:

I shot most of the production at 1/4 to 1/15th of a second depending on the rendering desired.I used a mix of 2 X 2.5 Kilo HMI flicker-less cinema lights for the backdrop which I lit at around f11.0. The open flash heads were also putting out f11.0 giving a total of between f13.0 and f16.0 for the backdrop. For the Model Julia, I used a single head with a standard 7″ silver bowl and medium honeycomb grid and blocked the light just below her waste and used a flag to do so. The bottom half of her body was lit with a Mandarin 2 kilo tungsten light, using a full blue correction filter.

I wanted my background 2 stops hotter than the foreground, to burn some of the detail of the Muslin fabric in movement as well as to outline the body of the model, giving a slight aura effect. I also used* Plexiglas floor panels to add dimension to the image. The main light was between f8.0 and f11.0 and on several shots, had a 1/2 blue gel correction filter attached. I used a Pentax DA 40mm Ltd pancake lens for most of the day and the Pentax DA 31mm Ltd for another shot and the Pentax DA*16-50 for another. I used the Pentax K20D for the shoot.

There you have it.

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/2...king-of-video/
Old 17-01-10, 16:41

Thanks Ben, again - a superb video and with this extra detail something to learn from and keep for future reference.

http://www.pbase.com/andy153

http://andy153.smugmug.com/

Equipment: Nikon - More than enough !!!
Old 20-01-10, 13:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy153 View Post
Thanks Ben, again - a superb video and with this extra detail something to learn from and keep for future reference.
No problem Andy